Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Assistance Security Concerns

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Stopper

Stopper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hi,

The more I'm hearing/learning about Remote Assistance, the less secure it seems. Those who use it to access their computers remotely seem to love it, but it seems that those who are using it for computer repairs are at risk.

Case in point my friend. He told me that he received help from a computer guy at work by remote assistance. He said that the techy had control of the computer for less than 5 mins and he was able to watch what the techy did on the computer monitor and nothing suspicious was observed.

At first this remote assistance sounded cool since an issue can be resolved so quickly and easily, but then I began to wonder about the security concerns.

For instance, control of my friend's computer was handed over to this techy so he would have the same computer access my friend does. Luckily nothing suspicous was observed, but for my own curiosity and knowledge, I was wondering (in general) about the following:

• Could files and other parts of the computer be accessed without it being shown on my friend's computer monitor?
  • Could information be downloaded or uploaded without it being shown on my friend's monitor?
  • Could any software or malware have been installed or planted without it being shown on my friend's monitor?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users