Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer fails to boot after fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm beating my head against the wall on this one.

Ok so after years of running XP, I finally got an external HDD to back all my crap on and Windows 7 Ultimate. I backed up all my stuff, ran the win7 DVD through start up, reformated my hard drive, installed windows 7.

It installed fine, rebooted a couple of times through the install, finishes, and logs me to the desktop. Its all working fine, I can use the net etc. I shut it down to restart it, and wtf it doesn't start back up. It gets to the bios window where it decides to start off the dvd or hdd, just prior to where it should normally change to the 'windows is loading' screen, and just sits there, blinking and doing nothing.

I've done three installs, I took out the hard drive, reformated it with another computer, made sure it had a ntfs file system, everything, it's working fine. But every single time I install windows 7, It logs me into the desktop for the first time, I can do everything fine, but then if I Shutdown or restart, it hangs on the screen prior to windows loading. I can't even choose a boot option.

I've seen some ideas on other forums, pulling the power out, resetting the bios/cmos, changing boot sequence, unplugging all non-essential hardware.. nothing. It's like as soon as I install windows 7 my hard drive isn't there anymore.

Please help! This is driving me crazy.

Specs:
Abit AX78 - Latest BIOS version
AMD 9950 quad core 2.6
4GB DDR2-800
ATi HD 5870
Western Digital 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

How many hard drives are plugged in when installing?

#3 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Just the one

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

When it goes into Windows the first time do you update all the drivers starting with the chipset?

#5 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

No, however on the 2nd attempt, prior to restarting I installed the ATi Package, which IIRC contains the southbridge driver. Upon restart required to complete the install, I got the hanging on the same screen.

edit: I'll dig out my MB cd and run it next time, I'm mid way through a 4th attempt, will do that when it logs in into the desktop.

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 13 February 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Is this Windows 64bit or 32 bit?

#7 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

It's Windows 7 Ultimate so I'm assuming 64bit

#8 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

Ok 4th attempts, another fail. This time got onto desktop, put in mb cd, installed all drivers. Restarted. This time I left the mb cd in the drive and it ran the cd, gave me 4 options. The top option, which I selected, was to Boot From First HDD. Upon selecting this, the screen says Booting from local disk... and that just sits there blinking. Same problem. It's like the HDD isn't there all of a sudden.

edit: Is there a BIOS setting I'm missing somewhere??

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 13 February 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Download the latest drivers from the website: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx those are for Windows 7 64bit.

#10 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Ok will try on my 5th attempt later.

#11 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Downloaded installed sb and raid win7 drivers, as usual everything was going fine. Restarted, and same problem. Stops on the boot screen.

This is frustrating the crap out of me.

On another note, I noticed that it tends to shut down rather quickly but takes a little time to reboot.. I wonder if it's crashing instead of shutting down? Would some type of crash cause the hard drive not to boot windows?

#12 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

There are two things that come to my mind:

One is to try setting the HDD Mode in the BIOS to IDE instead of Auto or AHCI and retest.

Also, consider the possibility that your DVD is slightly corrupted and doing a bad install.

Edited by LucheLibre, 13 February 2012 - 10:20 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#13 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

The SATA setting in the BIOS is already set to IDE - Native. I played around and set it to the others, but no difference.

The DVD is fine, I can assure you.

Can you think of any other BIOS settings I may be able to tweak? As far as I can see, there is no problem with the BIOS actually detecting the HDD, rather, the problem is that the HDD doesn't boot after it's detected.

Is there anyway I can reinstall the master boot record? Perhaps that's an issue..

edit: I'm reading elsewhere that windows7 has an option to burn a repair cd and run it to fix things like the boot record. I'm gonna see if I can download a copy and run it/reinstall windows again and make my own.

I'll be following http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/51100-repair-cd-system-repair-disk.html
and then http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 13 February 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#14 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

The first thing I thought of was the MBR. But it doesn't make sense that Windows 7 wouldn't get it right after 5 installs, especially if the DVD is good. What's more, if it screwed up the MBR, it wouldn't have made it through the first reboot during setup.

One thing that might change between install and post-install is memory usage. Might be good to rule out a bad chip.

If your 'fixboot' process doesn't work, I suggest you follow these two sets of directions.

Use MemTest86+ to test your memory for failure.

• You will need:
    • A new blank CD (CD-R) or a re-writable CD (CD-RW).
  • Using a working computer, go to http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and download the latest version of the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). Extract the .zip file's contents to your desktop.
  • Burn the .ISO image file on the desktop to a CD.
    Follow these instructions if you are not familiar with burning an .ISO image file to disc.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD.
    You may need to configure the BIOS or use the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.
  • Memtest86+ will begin testing automatically and continuously.

• Important! Allow the test to run as long as possible, preferably 24 hours.
    • Errors will be listed in red.
    • Only one error is necessary to fail the test. There is no need to continue. You may either press the Esc key to reboot or you may simply turn the computer off.
  • If an error is listed and you are comfortable working inside the computer, follow these steps:
    • Important! Static electricity is dangerous to electronics. Discharge yourself by touching a bare metal spot on the case before you touch anything inside the case.
    • Open the case and remove every stick of RAM except for the one closest to the CPU.
    • Boot from the CD and retest.
    • If there are no errors, turn the computer off, remove the RAM stick, put the next one in its place, and retest.
    • Repeat this pattern for any additional RAM sticks.
  • Report your findings in your next reply.

====================================================

Use Parted Magic from the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) to copy your Master Boot Record (MBR) to a file.

• You will need:
    • A new blank CD (CD-R) or a re-writable CD (CD-RW).
    • A flash drive to save the file on, and then transfer it to a working computer.
  • Using a working computer, download UBCD.
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD.
    Follow these instructions if you are not familiar with burning an .ISO image file to disk.
  • Plug the USB flash drive into the problematic computer and boot from the CD.
    You may need to configure the BIOS or use the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.
  • Select Parted Magic and press Enter.
  • Select Default Settings and press Enter.
    When Parted Magic has loaded, the CD tray will open: That's normal.
    You may leave the CD there or remove it: Close the tray if you wish.
  • On the Desktop, double-click File Manager.
  • Select your flash drive in the left pane. The contents of the flash drive will show in the right pane.
  • Click Tool on the top menu, and choose Open Terminal.
  • Type the following command:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.dmp bs=512 count=1

Important! There is a space between dd and if=/dev/sda and of=mbr.dmp and bs=512 and count=1
  • On the Desktop, click the bottom-left icon (where the 'Start' menu normally is on a Windows system) and click Logout.
  • Select Shutdown and click OK.
  • When the system has shut down, remove the flash drive and plug into a working computer.
  • Locate the mbr.dmp file on the flash drive.
  • Right-click on the mbr.dmp file and select Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder. A .zip file will be created in the same location.
  • In this thread, click Add Reply and use the Attachments section to attach the .zip file to your next reply.

============================================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#15 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Knock on wood, I followed the links, including http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 - It Started!!! Guess it must have been the boot/mbr.

Thanks for all your help man.

If it does it again, I'll try the above steps. Thanks again!

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 13 February 2012 - 11:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users