Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't move Vista to new motherboard - old one dead!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tenfour

Tenfour

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'm repairing a Packard-Bell iMedia J2411 UTOW-SFR tower PC fitted with a Foxconn PT 890 7MG8ERS2H motherboard. The Foxconn mobo is faulty, won't start at all and emits a repeating long beep. I have to transfer the Vista installed on the hard disk to a replacement ASRock N68-GS3 UCC mobo which I've fitted to replace the Foxconn mobo. Vista starts to boot then immediately gives a BSOD with a 0x7B error which I believe means that it won't recognise the SATA hard disk controller. I've tried the Repair option on the Windows Vista DVD but it won't fix the problem because Vista installed on the hard disk should have been changed to the standard hard disk drivers while it was still connnected and working on the old Foxconn mobo. The trouble is it wasn't and I can't go back to the old installation to carry this out before transferring the hard disk to the new ASRock mobo (which I believe is the normal way of doing a hardware transfer). Obviously the Windows Recovery on the Vista DVD can recognise the hard disk because it uses standard drivers. I have tried the Load Drivers option in the Vista Recovery locating the SATA driver files on the ASRock driver disk, but this doesn't work either! Does anyone know if it is possible to do a Regedit on the hard disk Vista installation to change the registry to read the standard hard disk drivers which must be on there? The Vista Recovery does allow a Regedit operation. I'm really desperate to fix this because there is some unique software installed on the hard disk which the owner needs to use when the PC is repaired. Thanks in anticipation!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:03 AM

I don't think you can replace a mobo especially a different brand/model and just insert the drive with an existing OS and expect that to run. Can't you first connect the drive on another working PC to transfer first important document before making a reinstall?

Tekken

#3 Tenfour

Tenfour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for your response jhayz, but I'm aware that I can't just connect the hard drive to another mobo & expect the OS to work but I was hoping that I could change the registry in some way with Regedit to deactivate the old Foxconn mobo drivers and activate the standard hard disk drivers. I had heard somewhere that this could be done. Also it's not an important document that needs to be transferred but a unique piece of installed software. Any ideas if the registry entries could be changed in the way I've described? Thanks in anticipation!!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

If the Startup Repair as here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

doesn't work for you, then the official declaration, given here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694

in a rather long-winded way, is that Server 2008/Vista/Win7 architecture isn't designed to jump hardware, whereas 2000/Server 2003/XP could do it.

I can't quite work out from your posts whether you've tried turning AHCI off in the BIOS, thus taking the SATA out of the equation - for hard drive access Vista should revert to IDE drivers.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users