Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gailee

gailee

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Running winxp home sp2. System has just started freezing, have had to shut down with power button at least 6 times today! I've run avast, no infections. Malwarebytes freezes. Chkdsk will not run, sez "cannot open volume for direct access". sfc scannow asks for windows professional cd and I have home version installed. Firefox and Internet explorer will not open, they show they are running in task manager tho. I could not run task manager earlier but I stopped Apple, Google and Webroot in services and was able to install Chrome to post this. I've been getting errors for a few days..1. not a vailed win32 app & not enuff quota is avail to process command(when trying to open firefox) 2. taskmgr failed to initialize 3. dwwin.exe failed to initialize properly 4. Spysweeperui.exe - bad image. 5. msctf.dll is not a valid windows image. I've also had a window to "unlock" computer a couple times and I do not "lock" or use a password. There were no restore points to restore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi -
1) Is there a reason for not being updated to XP SP3, as all security updates leave a Restore point
2) You have not had security updates if there is no reason for not updating
3) Do you have the XP CD available
4) What Antivirus and Firewall programs do you use, as an update will usually leave a Restore point

Thank You -

EDIT - How much % Free Space do you have -

Edited by noknojon, 13 February 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#3 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

I've always had restore points, up to this am. I update windows when it tells me. I have the xp home cd but it is asking for the professional cd. I am using avast internet security. I have 130G free on HD. I have not installed any new programs.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

I update windows when it tells me.

1) Is there a reason for not being updated to XP SP3,
With "normal" XP Home, you will not be getting the updates required

Please try to post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy
This may help us understand your problem better -

Thank You -

#5 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

I get updates all the time. I deleted some programs and disabled some services @ startup (google & apple). Ran avast, mb & spware scans, found nothing. But lo and behold everything has been running fine for several hours.... until next time!

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

<"1) Is there a reason for not being updated to XP SP3,">

With "normal" XP Home, you will not be getting all the updates required

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users