Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Off On Own

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 apruitt71

apruitt71

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

Hi,
I could really use some help. I have Windows XP home. When I got up this morning my screen had went blank, but the green light on my tower was on. Now whenever I turn the computer on it loads like normal and after a few minutes the screen goes black and the monitor light goes yellow like the computer is off.
I tried to system restore and see if that helped but it didn't.
The tower light stays green, and I don't get any error messages or even error beeps when turning it back on.
Any help I can get would be so greatly appreciated. I really don't have any idea where to start.
Thanks
Amy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:38 PM

Let's start with the basics. When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Heat makes electronices do strange things.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:28 PM

Silly question time :thumbsup: Are all the cables properly attached?

Also what do you mean by the computer starts up as normal? Does it do this every time you start up the machine? Also what is the last thing you see before it dissapears?

g

#4 apruitt71

apruitt71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hi,
First the computer is clean and free from dust. Second I don't see anything unusual before is goes black.
The screen just goes black. I have checked all cables and they are secure. It worked fine last night and was left on overnight (which we do alot) and when I got up the screen was black but the light on the tower was on like it is normally. I don't get any warning and no certain program is running when it shuts down (goes black). I can turn off the tower and restart and it just loads like usual not taking any longer or giving any messages. Then after anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes my screen just goes black. I really do appreciate any help anyone can give.
Thanks

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

Take a look here:

start > control panel > performance and maintenance > power options

Please make a note of what power scheme you are currently using and what it says next to 'turn off monitor'. Report that info back here to us.

But first:

Change the power scheme to 'always on' and then what do you see for 'turn off monitor'? Change it to 'never' and see if that makes a difference.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 apruitt71

apruitt71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

Hi again,
I have already checked all power settings and they were all set to keep computer always on. I think maybe the computer is shutting down due to over heating. I took the cover off and made sure everything was really clean again, but the fan that you can see from the outside back of the tower isn't kicking on I don't think. I'm not sure how to get it off to clean it. Any ideas ? Would over heating make it kick off?
Thanks again for all the help.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:39 AM

When you say "the fan you can see from the outside" are you talking about the one in the power supply or a seperate fan?

Is the fan cooling the processor working?

#8 apruitt71

apruitt71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:42 AM

I pretty sure it is the power supply fan. When I look at the back of the tower it is the fan you can see without taking off the cover. Can the completely burn up and stop working?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

Yes, they can and it could cause overheating and shutdown.

#10 apruitt71

apruitt71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hey thanks for all the help. I am gonna replace that fan and see if that is the problem. I am almost sure that it is. If not I'll be back for more help. Thanks again though for all the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users