Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guys, the one is driving me crazy!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rossS

rossS

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

Acer Aspire AS7750G-6662 = $699 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215245

Acer Aspire AS7750G-6669 = $649- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215281

Looking at these two, they seem almost identical, with the obvious exception of one currently being $50 cheaper than the other(and the prices flip and flop all the time, they are both originally $749.)

There are two things that are really jumping out at me though. The 6662 has 1GB more dedicated memory than the 6669 despite having the same model GPU(Radeon HD 6650M) and the 6662 has a max supported memory of 16GB while it shows the 6669 having 8GB max supported memory. It seems to have the same OS and chipset. I'm just now getting into computers and don't quite understand everything yet, like clocking etc..

Obviously if they are the same machines I would like to save money(my problem could be solved as the 6662 does have a tendency to drop to $649 but when I have the money I tend to be a bit impatient lol) as of now I was planning on buying the 6662 and 2 sticks of 4GB to get it up to 8GBs memory.

Thanks for the input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/compare/LX.RMP02.004-LX.RMK02.001

Seems to me to be the same except: Video card memory and the USB 3 port. Sadly neither has bluetooth. I think both take the same amount of max memory, Newegg has been known to post the wrong specs.

To me, 1gig vs 2gig of Video RAM on a lappy at that resolution isn't a deal breaker. The card is too slow to run enough AA at that resolution to use a gig of memory anyway. To me the USB 3 matters more, but thats me.

Both are decent systems. Got my first ACER lappy a couple months ago (5755G-6823) and have been very happy with it, although I did have to add a bluetooth card to it and 2X4gigs of RAM. Always double check your specs before you pull the trigger (unlike me).

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 rossS

rossS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Okay after further research I've been reading that unless you are using really high resolutions that the extra GB doesn't really matter, which I think is pretty much what you are saying. The highest res I'll be using is occasionally connecting my laptop to my 32" 720P Television, which I do not think gets anywhere near that.

So if that's not a big issue then the 6669 is probably the better choice? I will be do a slight amount of gaming on it(SWTOR, etc)

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

So if that's not a big issue then the 6669 is probably the better choice? I will be do a slight amount of gaming on it(SWTOR, etc)

The TV resolution won't tax anything, even 1080p won't. The GPUs themselves will perform exactly the same until you need more than 1gb of frame buffer. General guidelines- 2560X1600 4XAA is safe on 1 gig of video RAM. Just the relative speed, or lack threreof on lappy GPUs pretty much means that you will never have to worry about the 1 vs 2 gig problem. Don't know what else to tell you. Shop by price/features you need, but don't put the video RAM as a determining factor on a 1600X900 lappy.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 rossS

rossS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

Okay, thanks for the info/help! Greatly appreciate it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users