Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doesn't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cycle

cycle

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Hi, I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 running Windows XP SP3. In normal boot it gets to the windows splash screen and freezes, the hard drive LED looks like the hard drive is active and doing something but even after 20 minutes it doesn't boot.

The computer boots okay in safe mode... I tried running a windows repair ( using the Windows installation CD) and I also tried running Malware bytes and super antispyware, by removing the hd and putting it in another computer as a secondary HD and running the utilites to that hd drive. I still have the same problem when I try to boot to this hd.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?
2) Will it boot with a selective startup (in safe mode, open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot.

#3 cycle

cycle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Nothing has changed since the problem has started no new hardware, software (that I know of).
I did the startup in safe mode, and did the selective startup unchecking all three items under in msconfig general tab. The problem still happened in the selective startup.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

You said you tried "Windows Repair" - I'm not sure what you mean - did you try a repair install? If not, what did you do? And if you'd like to try a repair install (which is probably the next logical step), follow these instructions:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users