Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS re-install, now all files "read only"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

OS re-install, now all files "read only"

I had my Windows 7-64 bit re-installed. Now, all my work files and folders are "read only". I tried something called "take ownership", but that didn't seem to work. I unclicked "read only" in the properties dialog box for specific folders... would be 'denied', but allowed to continue... then as soon as I finished I would check the properties again and it would still be "read only".

The only way I know to get around this is to 'save as' under a different name, delete the original file, then 'save as' again under the name I want. I really don't want to do that for each individual file.

How can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

Was this always a Windows7 system or an upgrade from XP, or similar ??

Thank You -

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Join the club. It's a WinDOZE thang, apparently...

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

The Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored (WTF????) by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box.

Worth reading, IMO. http://itexpertvoice.com/home/fixing-the-windows-7-read-only-folder-blues/

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I notice you said;"I had my Windows 7-64 bit re-installed. Now, all my work files and folders are "read only"."

Was this done for you by work or a shop?

If you haven't already gone back to whomever did this for you to get a quick guide to your files I can tell you how to add yourself as the owner again. Make sure you read this through first and apply only if you feel your comfortable doing this. Do not do it to Program Files, Program Data, Windows, or any other files/folders that are part of the system.

Note: This is ONLY for the files and folders that are yours as a user, not for system or trusted installer folders/files as it will break your system or render it unbootable!

Go to the file you want to change permissions too, or folder if its one you created like "stuff" or "movies" and all files inside are again your users.

Right click on the file/folder and select security, then advanced. You should see tabs at the top just like the security or details tabs on the prior window.

Select Owner, at the bottom right choose edit, select your user name and then click on the bottom right apply or okay. (I'm not on a windows machine at the moment so exact button/tab names will be best guess.)

You can now tab over to the permissions window which has all the users who are allowed to use this file/folder. I always add my user name if missing and then give myself full control. When saved this should return you to being the full owner and user with all rights to the file/folder.

(Note: if a folder you will need to apply to all sub folders if you want to save some time and extra work but I find it's not 100% successful. If I wanted to delete all files in a folder and did this sometimes I have to manually go to the files and do it again anyway...but that's usually when I'm taking control of system files/folders.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users