Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo firewall?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Credits

Credits

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

Hi, was just wondering if Comodo firewall will work well with AVG 2012 (free). Also, is this the official comodo website? http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Oh and, is comodo firewall a good choice? Or does anyone else have any other suggestions, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

I am not a fan of AVG free anti virus. I have used most of the free ones, and I had more problems with AVG than any other. It is notoriously resource hungry (my computer was very sluggish when I had it installed), had mediocre detection rates and many false positives. I understand AVG have tried to address some of these issues with their latest version but, far better, in my view, to go for a tried, tested and trusted anti virus, and my recommendation is Avast free, which I have used for some time now and have been very happy with.

As for Comodo firewall, it is an outstanding choice. I use it with Avast and have had no infections since installation. Its excellent Defense+ malware prevention system also gives additional protection against any nasties. If you need help with installation and setup, Gizmo's freeware have a useful guide: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm

Your link is indeed the official Comodo website, but to avoid any confusion with their paid products, you may wish to use this link: http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

Good luck.

#3 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

It may for awhile, but i think they would be an update or two away from causing mucho problemo. Currently im running Comodos antivirus ( without their firewall ) Sandboxie free off a LUA account, Malwarebytes free, and Hit-man pro free. I believe this will be much more stable then Comodos firewall with AVG.

#4 Tim the Wizard

Tim the Wizard

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

I use comodo on all of my computers ad absolutely love it. When you install it save yourself a headache and remove the "Geekbuddy" thing it tries to bundle with it. I installed comodo and used it to block certain apps from accessing internet while gaming, my ping thanks you Comodo.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I agree it is the best in the business.. Seven years of FREE use No headaches,
As mentioned during install ,install ONLY the firewall.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Credits

Credits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

I agree it is the best in the business.. Seven years of FREE use No headaches,
As mentioned during install ,install ONLY the firewall.

Just got around to installing the firewall and I'm really liking it. I've configured all the settings though when I first installed and rebooted and told me if I wanted to allow svhost.exe to connect to the internet, I've allowed it but havn't saved the answer yet. Should I always allow "svhost.exe" to connect to the internet?

#7 samizdat

samizdat

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

AVG isn't very good anymore. As for the four most popular free AV programs, av-comparatives latest report has them ranked:
1) Avira
2) Avast
3) Microsoft
4) AVG

I would rather have the free Avira or Avast over the Pro AVG.

Comodo is great and ranked right up there with Sygate, Outpost and Online Armor.

svhost.exe is essential and I would select 'always allow'

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

Im also like the others not a huge fan of AVG, though I hold its a better choice then many others (such as norton) however, that being said I love AVAST, and I like Comodo, and I have run comodo in conjunction with both antiviruses with no ill affects, for free firewalls comodo really is outstanding.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 Celena

Celena

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Comodo includes a "memory firewall" which is against buffer overflow attacks .Comodo limits the frequency of alerts by automatically treating some programs as safe and allowing some applications to access the Internet. The use of sandbox protection limits the negative effects of malware. It maintains a lengthy list of known safe applications, but if an unknown application attempts entry through the firewall, Comodo will deny the application and ask the user what to do.

#10 Yiddish

Yiddish

• Banned Spammer
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

In my point of view i could suggest really that is a good choice.

#11 Guest_desertjon_*

Guest_desertjon_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm using Comodo firewall alongside with Malwarebytes Pro and having no problems..I stopped using av's after going through too many problems with Avast..AVG..and MSE..My pc is 8 years old and I have an Intel Pentium 4 processor and the newer av's slow me to a crawl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users