Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NAS drive not being "seen" by other accounts or computers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ShouldBeSmarter

ShouldBeSmarter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

I have done several searches on this site and cannot find an answer to this issue. I have a drive that I have attached to my wireless router to use as a network drive. This is so everyone can access this drive for music, photos, videos, etc and also to use as a backup drive.

I attached it to my laptop and installed it, the drive was recognized. I attached it to the gigabit port on my wireless. The laptop recognizes it, I have full control over files (create, delete, copy, etc, etc.). I installed it using my account (Admin).

When I go into my daughter's account on the same laptop (it's actually hers but I don't give her admin-level access) I cannot SEE the drive. It does not show up in explorer nor can I access it using the IP address. I launched Media Player and it "found" all the songs on the drive (at least I THINK it did - now that I think about it she had other songs on the HDD already).

I go to my PC in the living room which is also wireless and I cannot find that network drive, either. I even ran the install disk thinking it might just "find" the drive but that didn't work. Multiple searches have me coming up empty.

I guess I just don't know as much about this as I thought I did. I know I had this NAS drive accessible from my PC at one time in the past but I was using a 2wire wireless router then. Is this a LAN issue? A workgroup issue? Anyone?

Equipment:
Laptop:
Toshiba Satellite Sempron 2.10ghz running Windows 7 at 32-bit. 2GB ram.

Router:
Netgear WNDR3700 dual-band and I'm running everything on 2.4gh b/c no one told me the range in 5ghz SUCKS!!!

NAS Drive:
Buffalo Technologies LS-CHL 1.0TB

PC:
Dell Pentium 4, 3.19ghz, Windows XP, 2GB Ram

I know I think I'm leaving enough information but if someone needs more please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users