Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking high and low for a driver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi!

I'm working on an HP Media Center PC m1050e. I have updated it to Windows 7 from XP, however I can not for the life of me find drivers for the onboard ethernet. The HP support page doesn't seem to have them, and no other forums have been of use to me so far. Does anyone have any ideas of what driver I could use to get this computer connected?

The only identifying mark on the motherboard is a little 'etch' that says "k8s-la." And yes, the ethernet is onboard.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi

That's a tough one. It is probably a Realtek RTL8201CL but if you go to their driver download site, you'll be directed to a faq which says...

Q9: Why don't I find RTL8201x driver on the website?

A9:
RTL8201, RTL8201BL, RTL8201CL, RTL8201CP, RTL8201N and RTL8211B(L) are all PHYceiver. That is a driverless hardware device. Software driver are relative to Network controller ( MAC ) which is integrated into chipset in such case mostly. Please contact your mother board maker or chipset manufacturer to obtain proper driver support.

http://www.realtek.com/faqs/faqsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=3

So unless HP specifically makes a driver for your motherboard for Windows 7 it's going to be difficult to get that working.

Does the network that you are connecting to have wireless capability?

If so, you should try a USB wireless network adapter for about $20.

Wish I had better news for you. Maybe someone else knows a workaround.

James

#3 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

Well that's too bad, but it certainly explains why the driver has been so difficult to find. The network does have wireless capabilities, and a USB network or even an internal card is not out of the question. My only problem is that I was hoping to flash an old router with dd-wrt to create a wireless bridge, but I need to connect the router with an ethernet cable to make that flash happen. All the directions tell me very specifically to not flash the router using wireless. :(

Thank you very much for your sleuthing! I guess I'll start looking for a new NIC. Unless there are more ideas out there?

Edited by trevzilla, 12 February 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

You are right, you need a wired connection for that :(

If you are into living dangerously (I see you're doing some hardcore stuff there) then you can see if any other motherboard manufacturers have a driver that you might be able to make work with yours. It would be a chore and you'll need to be ready to roll everything back if it screws things up.

Otherwise add a card.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users