Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

use internal hd as external?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scarshack

scarshack

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

I need some help with the following and the easiest solution.
Sorry, if this may not make full sense, but I will try and explain.

I have my desktop system that I use daily, this system has a few programs on it, that are the type I can only install on one machine(my desktop). Also it has a lot of files I need.
I am going away and cant take my desktop with me but I need to use the programs on it(files I can do without)
Is there a way I can take the harddrive out of it(my desktop) and plug it into my laptop(usb, like an external drive) to use the programs?
Would it let me use just the programs and not effect my OS on that drive when I get home?
If so is there a plug or adapter type plug to buy so I can plug it in?
Im assuming there is no way to transfer the programs to the laptop and would rather keep them intact for when I return, put my HD back in and use like I did.
Is there any solution I quess to take 2 programs I purchased but cant install on my other machine?

Im very lost on what to do. I know this sounds very simple to a lot.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

I say...no :).

The hard drive should only boot...and (thereby) programs run properly...if it is in the system it was originally installed in.

If you remove the drive and attach it to another system, you would be able to access all data files on it but programs will not run.

The one item that would enable such would be accessing the desktop via remote access program. There are multiple ways of doing that and that would give you access to everything on a system that is not within arm's reach.

Others here may know of a different solution.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users