Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who or what is ADMIN$ ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FrankPigeon

FrankPigeon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi, I'm curious about something and wonder if someone on here could please give me some advice. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an Acer Aspire 4830T laptop, it's not a member of a domain and I'm the only user. When I go into Computer Management > Shared Folders > Shares I have 3 showing, C$ (which I understand is a default share) with the path C:\, ADMIN$ with the path C:\Windows and the description "Remote Admin" and IPC$ with no path and the description "Remote IPC".

When I hit "Stop sharing" the message says, "This share was created for administrative purposes only. The share will reappear when the server service is stopped and restarted or the computer is restarted. Are you sure you wish to stop sharing ADMIN$?". When I try to look at it's properties, it says, "This has been shared for administrative purposes. The share permissions and file security cannot be set."

Is this normal? What remote admin? It seems illogical, like I'm allowing a stranger access to my machine so any explanations would be very gratefully received, thanks in advance. :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 msuex10

msuex10

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

Yes this is normal. Blame Microsoft

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

First entry of Google search term "ADMIN$"

http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/2007/10/the-admin-share-explained/

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hello,

Yes, all three are administrative shares and come on all versions builds on NT that I can recall.

The server service uses these default shares, and any others you might make, for administration and file sharing.

You can delete these shares but after a reboot they will return. If you really don't want them you can do a few things to remove them such as turning off the server service. If you use the server service or don't want to disable it then you can go into the Task Scheduler and add a script that will disable or remove the shares either by an action or simply at boot. (I've done this in the past with machines I bring to work and use on the network.)

The above is easy to do and you should be able to search for step by step instructions quickly. You'll also learn more about how it works and if you might need it by reading up on it.

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users