Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grenn lines/red boxes on start up screens.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mill1234

mill1234

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hello,

Thank you in advance for any help I may receive.

I've problems with my computer for a couple of weeks, this is when a McAfee scan I ran detected 2 trojans and removed them.

Then the problems started:

My computer was unable to start.
The display was flashing red & green lines.
Nvidia display driver stoped working before and after scan.
My computer kept on asking to do Startup repair, which can't find the solution.
It recommended contacting manufacturer.
I received BSOD with nvidia display driver file as cause

I posted on the 'Am i infected forum', and received help to remove some virus'. (link - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441226.html)

I was then referred to the 'Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs' forum, where I received some help, and was then told by Myrti that my problems are likely due to a hardware issue. During this forum I was having serious problems getting my computer to start, as I kept on getting green lines/red boxes on my start up screens, and then the computer restarting to 'start up repair'. However I have now uninstalled my graphics card driver, as I thought this was faulty, and my computer now starts every time (albeit with green lines and reb boxes coming up on my start up screens.)

Laptop Specifications

- Sony Vaio
- Windows Vista Home premium (service pack 1)
- Memory (RAM): 2.00gb
- 32 bit operating system
- Display chip type : GeForce 8400M GT

Kind Regards
Mill1234

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441405.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Hi,

I would recommend you try reposting in the hardware section, it may be that your graphic card is faulty or that the drivers are buggy and you need to switch drivers. This, however, is an area where I know little and I believe the people in the hardware section are better suited to help you.

I'm not seeing any active malware and the green lines/boxes are not a typical sign for malware but rather for a graphic card issue.

regards myrti

From MRL topic, cleared of malware suspicions :thumbsup: .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi

The first thing you can try is easy and won't change anything.

You need to determine if it is a problem with the video connection to the laptop screen or if it is a problem with the video card itself.

To do that, you need to find an external monitor that you can plug into the Vaio and see if the green lines and red box behavior occurs on it also.

If it does, your video card is probably damaged, if not then the connection between the laptop screen and the video card is loose or damaged.

I can't remember ever seeing this problem caused by software. It could be a possibility and perhaps someone else has seen it.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 12 February 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

From MRL topic, cleared of malware suspicions :thumbsup: .

Louis

My bad, I didnt see that in the thread my apologies.

Since its been cleared of malware-I would agree with neversaydie, it sounds to me like either the video driver is going bad or the connection to the screen is. I would try hooking an external monitor up to it and seeing if that fixes it-though, if the monitor does not work, and if you can get it to boot, even if its only into safe mode (press f8 on startup, and probably safe mode with networking) it wouldnt hurt to reinstall the drivers, its feasible but not likely to be a driver issue. I would try uninstalling the video drivers (go into device manager, right click the video card, click properties, drivers and uninstall) then download the latest drivers and installing them, its very possible the previous malware issues corrupted your video drivers.

Edited by the_patriot11, 12 February 2012 - 07:23 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 mill1234

mill1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

I'm afraid I won't be able to access my laptop for a couple of days so won't be able to try what you have suggested. I will hopefully do it by the weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks you
mill1234

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

np get back to us when you can.

picard5.jpg

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=VGCLT15E&news_id=349

Likely doesn't apply to your exact model, but the videocard chipset is the same. These were part of the Nvidia "chipgate" debacle. Would not hurt to poke around Sony's site, try contacting them to see if there is any coverage left. Coverage was extended for many models from almost all OEMs. Never have tried getting Sony to cover this, but HP and Dell did a pretty good job on the ones I sent in under their replacement program.

Good luck with it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1004378/why-nvidia-chips-defective
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/10/all-nvidia-8400m-8600m-chips-faulty/

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users