Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Professional Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Greetings all.

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd start here.

I've got a dead Seagate External HD. Posted in the External Hardware forum to try to recover the photos / docs / etc but alas, at the end of the day, it is toast.

A couple of BC members mentioned that professional data recovery is most likely the only real option here and although it seems unlikely that I'll shell huge amounts of money to do so, it did make me stop and think, 'hmmm, what does it actually cost? who does it?'

I figured if anyone would know it would be the good folks here at BC.

So I wanted to know who here at BC has actually done this (professional data recovery from a dead HD) how much did it cost? Was it worth it? Are there questions you wished you would've asked before hand? Questions you'd ask now? etc.

Any feedback, links and/or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Is it worth it? Depends on what is on the hard-drive and how damaged the data might be. I've never had it done, but my previous employers have had it done a couple times. In their case, it was worth it.

I have no idea of the costs. I suspect there is significant variation.

Where to go would depend in part on what kind of drive is in question and where YOU are.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

what does it actually cost? who does it?'

Try googling for data recovery or seagate data recovery.

Contact Seagate by phone or email, and ask them: https://services.seagate.com/
  • Consumer > Economy Services

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

Orange Blossom / AustrAlien, thanks for the feedback and links. That's the sort of info I was looking for.

The External is pretty full - almost 320 GB's - so I'm going to reach out to Seagate and see what this Economy Service might cost me, as I can't see any other way to get all those photos and files back.

Valuable lesson learned: back up your back ups!

I'll try to update this when I find out what Seagate says / quotes for a recovery and/or if I find another company that seems professional in my area (Eastern Seaboard).

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

Valuable lesson learned: back up your back ups!

It seemed that the original version (copy) was no longer available: A "backup" ceases to be a backup if the original is no longer available. Anything of significance should be saved on at least 2 physically separated media. Data of any importance should be saved on at least 3 physically separated media ... and in different locations.

I look forward to learning what you find out about options for professional data recovery.

Good luck.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users