Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning Up My Windows Folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chatice

Chatice

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

In checking thru my Windows folder, I see a whole long list of items that look like this:

$NtUninstallKB840315$

(The numbers at the end are different for each one.)

There is over 750 Mb of these in the Windows folder on my C: drive.

Each of the folders contains different files or folders, such as .sys, .dll, and .exe, and spuninst. They look important, but what are they?

Any chance that they can be deleted without causing my computer to have problems?

Just trying to clean out unnecessary junk, if that's what these are!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

A good rule to follow is: If you don't know what it is, don't delete it!

There is a free program which will do a thorough job of removing temp files, unwanted logs, and a host of other stuff. It's called CCleaner and widely used and recommended by members here.
Download CCleaner from here:
CCleaner
Do NOT use the 'Applications' or 'Issues' tabs unless you are an expert user.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

These are usually uninstall information for the various updates on your system. On my system there are 107 mB worth of them (XP with SP2 slipstreamed).

Generally, if you won't need them in the future, they're safe to delete. BUT...if you don't need the space right now, I'd leave them for a later cleanup. Also, deleting them will leave a mess in your Add/Remove Programs dialog - it'll still list the updates, but you won't be able to uninstall them.

Finally, here's a link on how to figure out what's "safe" to delete: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42143/how-to-safely-delete-a-file-if-you-dont-know-if-you-need-it/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Chatice

Chatice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

Bottom line is:

If I don't need the space, I should really leave those files as they are.

Thanks for the pointers. Will try CCleaner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users