Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird colored lines appear and computer freezes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nananamcr

Nananamcr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

This has been doing this ever since I got my new Gateway desktop.
It usually happens when I'm on the Internet, or editing in photoshop, or simply typing up reports on Word.
It isn't my monitor, I had just replaced my old monitor before my old desktop crapped out on me.
Ive had this Gateway since December,
I'm tired of it crashing and losing all of my work.

It's a Gateway DX4860-UB32P
Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

Have you tried looking at the Event logs? That is where I would start if you aren't getting BSOD. Here is how to get there: Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer, if you are using XP you should be able to just click on System or Application and the logs will appear in the right side of the pane. If you are using Vista or 7 you will need to click on 'Windows Logs' then on Applications or System..Look for a red mark to the left side of the "event" that is near the time that the system "froze" or "crashed".. If indeed you are getting a BSOD then look into WhoCrashedit from a google search, install and run the analyser to see what it is saying. Just a another thought, this makes me lean towards a video card or a psu.

Edited by snglnluvnit, 12 February 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

If this is a brand new machine send it in for warranty work.

#4 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

I guess I did not pay attention the the "new machine" part, I agree with 'cryptodan', it should be covered under warranty. Have you spoken with Gateway concerning your issue?

#5 Nananamcr

Nananamcr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'm in safe mode now, and it hasn't crashed yet.
Could it be my graphics driver?

#6 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Is the video onboard the motherboard? If so try updating it via the manufacturers website or Gateway website. If it is a separate card and you have onboard video as well try taking the card out, and see what happens. If no onboard video see if you can get your hands on a known working card (from a friend) and install that, to see what happens. But I guess I would start with tech support from Gateway since it is still under warranty.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

Possible video card issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users