Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop won't load

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blue02celi

blue02celi

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

This morning I turned my laptop on and while waiting for it to pick up my wifi I clicked on the internet signal in the tray and got that "taking too long to respond, force close or wait" option. I clicked close and the task bar and desktop icons dissapeared. Now when I turn it on, it starts to boot up normally but after the blue welcome screen its just black, even in safe mode I just see it say safe mode in the 4 forgets of the screen.

Its an asus republic of gamers G74? Windows 7 sorry its brief, using my phone to post and I'm in a truck driver so we are on the road. Will be stopping soon so I can get more info then if needed

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blue02celi

blue02celi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Went back into safe mode and I can see the icons and task bar, did a restore to a point 2 days ago but it didn't help

#3 blue02celi

blue02celi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I would edit but I don't see that option on the posts so I apologize for the continued posts...

After leaving the laptop on for a bit on the black screen I got a "failed to prepare critical file! Chameleon engine out of service!"

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Check the first post here:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=3&model=G2P&id=20080916063436453&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

The .zip file link is dead, but if you have your CD, that will work too.

Edited by LucheLibre, 12 February 2012 - 08:10 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 blue02celi

blue02celi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

The computer did not come with cds, and when I attempt to go into safe mode and uninstall that splendid program I get:

"the windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

Download, unzip, and run the utility SafeMSI in Safe Mode.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/tips/jsi-tip-9233-safemsi-exe-freeware-starts-windows-installer-in-safe-mode-

Then try to uninstall the Splendid service again.

Edited by LucheLibre, 13 February 2012 - 08:17 AM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 blue02celi

blue02celi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Now I can't seem to get on in safe mode any more either. Bleh, I guess the easiest thing to do is just take it to the geeks, thank you for your help!

#8 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

You noted this was a ASUS G74xx? It should have prompted you to make a complete recovery DVD set when you started the computer the first time. (Since ASUS no longer ships OEM OS DVDs.) If that isn't available you can always use the F9 key at boot to get into the hidden ASUS recovery partition. (Hit F9 when you see the logo for ASUS on power up.)

If you need any data use a friends PC to download a burn a linux live cd/dvd. If you know anything about linux you can use it to try and fix any issues with the HDD as well with "ntfsfix /dev/sda1" assuming you only have one drive and windows is the first partition.

#9 blue02celi

blue02celi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yeah, when I mentioned geek I remember they were the ones who set my computer up, and made the disks for me. I have been resorting the laptop on and off thru the day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users