Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! USB ports not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MistaFloober

MistaFloober

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

I just built a computer for a friend but when i put the Windows 7 disk inside the DVD drive , i noticed that the keyboard and mouse didnt work. No matter what i tried, the mouse and keyboard wouldnt respond and i am stuck on a windows 7 installation window with nothing to do with it. I cant even get into the bios because the usb ports dont work. Is it a mother board problem or power supply problem? Are there any other things i need to plug in besides the ATX 12v and the Main power connector? I am a bit new to this.. Parts my friend ordered were:

MB: ASRock AM3 processors AMD 770-140W 4DDR3/ATI CrossFireX motherboard M3A770DE
GPU: SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card
RAM:Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
HDD:Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD15EARS
PSU:700 Watt - Coolmax, Partial Modular Power Supply, CU-700B

Any help? I dont want to break the computer then have to pay him back....
are there any compatibility issues?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi

Does a PS/2 mouse or keyboard work?

James

#3 Theonus

Theonus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hello there.

I'm not 100% sure this will be your issue however in the past I've built systems that have had the USB settings in BIOS set to disabled by default. You'll need a PS2 keyboard to get into there and first enable it if this is the case.

Here's a link to a decent page: USB Troubleshooter

It states:

-----------------------------------------------------

BIOS Settings

Common BIOS Problems
Many USB Problems are the result of improper settings in the BIOS. To achieve proper USB connectivity the BIOS needs to be a properly working partner.

- Enable USB in the BIOS

USB is often disabled by Default in the BIOS. To enable USB in the BIOS one or more of the following statements must be true.

USB Keyboard - DOS or Enabled (Even if you have NO USB Keyboard)

Legacy USB Support - Enabled

and/or

Assign IRQ for USB - Enabled (Some combinations of OS and BIOS version require this setting to be Disabled).

If there are NO references to USB in the BIOS setup, your BIOS Version Needs To Be Updated.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps...

#4 MistaFloober

MistaFloober
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

None of the ports in the back work, not even the ps/2 ports :(
could it be the motherboard, powersupply, or both?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

That's odd because if PS/2 keyboard was plugged in and it wasn't working, you'd typically get an error before it would get to any Windows 7 install screen.

When you turn it on, what exactly happens?

Does it show the POST activity like the memory and drives being detected?

Does it show a logo of some sort?

Or does it just immediately show the Windows 7 install screen you are stuck in?

Are you sure that the PS/2 keyboard is plugged into the PS/2 keyboard jack or maybe it is in the PS/2 mouse jack by mistake?

James

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

Did you try resetting the BIOS? The jumper location will be in the motherboard manual.

As a second thought make sure the front USB ports are unplugged from the motherboard.

Third thought, Take the motherboard out and put it on wooden table or the motherboard box with just the power supply hooked up and see if the keyboards work then to get you into the BIOS.

There exists the possibility that the motherboard is not mounted properly. There should only be brass standoffs where the screw holes are located in the motherboard.

I say having seen motherboards bolted down tight to the metal of the case, or extra brass standoffs underneath shorting things out.
I only mention this due to not knowing your skill level.

Testing outside the case eliminates many variables from the equation.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users