Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win32 blaster worm

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 tntmm6

tntmm6

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

My son's windows XP laptop has definitely has some worms and bugs. Sercurity alerts pop up, and no program can be executed. I've started in Safe Mode, run Rkill, and ran Malwarebytes which found a couple of things, but it definitely not clean. I've also run Spybot and super anti spyware.

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hello and welcome.

and no program can be executed. I've started in Safe Mode, run Rkill, and ran Malwarebytes

Does this mean you van run apps now?

If not try this...
Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.

>>>> Download this file and doubleclick on it to run it. Allow the information to be merged with the registry.

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to enter safe mode(XP/Vista)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.
  • Run TDSSKiller.exe.
  • Click Start scan.
  • When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
    The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
    The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click Continue
  • Let reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.
  • Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log have a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tntmm6

tntmm6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Yes, RKill worked and I was able to run malwarebytes, super antispyware and spybot, all in Safe Mode with Networking. Each scan found some things. I also tried the W32 blaster worm killer from symantec, but it didn't find anything. I saw the thread about the "fake" W32 blaster worm (seriously?!).

I then thought it would be a good idea to run the antivirus scan again, AVG, and it found a trojan (in safe mode also). The machine appears to be ok, but it is now very slow.

Shall I continue with your suggestions?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Run TFC by OT (Temp File Cleaner)
Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tntmm6

tntmm6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for your quick replies.

ESET found nothing.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Is it still slow? Reboot it.

#7 tntmm6

tntmm6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Yes it is still slow and it won't reboot, I have to power off. I clicked Restart this morning, came home from work and it still had not restarted.

Firefox and IE are redirecting to some ad site.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Not in safe Mode either?

#9 tntmm6

tntmm6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

Sorry for the delay. In safe mode it is rebooting normally (quickly).

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

You did run TDSS killer in Post 2

It may not be malware..Let's take one more rootkit look.

Download aswMBR to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.
Click the "Scan" button to start scan:
Posted Image

On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply:
Posted Image

NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

#11 tntmm6

tntmm6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

I can download the aswMBR file, but it won't run. I double click, select run, and nothing appears to happen. I've tried it several times. I am in safe mode, and I did run TDSS earlier, as instructed

Edited by tntmm6, 17 February 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Thats not good.. we need to move and start a new blaster worm topic so we can get a deeper look.

Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.

#13 tntmm6

tntmm6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thanks boopme.

I've run DDS and GMER and posted my logs over on Virus, Trojan, Spyware Removal Logs forum.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

You're welcome, someone will pick you up soon.
Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

The current wait time is 1 - 3 days and ALL logs are answered.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users