Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get sound to work through hdmi output through my tv!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

So ya title saays it.
but there is on thing tht i want to add is tht i hav tried going into playback devices but for some reason it says nothing bout the hdmi. It just says "speakers" and "realtek digital output".

Attached Files

Edited by sosolidj4tt, 12 February 2012 - 11:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

I do this with my TV too :)

The first place I would look is to make sure that Windows detected the HDMI display properly.

Look in Device manager with the TV connected and turned on.
Click the Windows Orb (used to be the START button in XP)
Type
Device Manager
and you should see a link to click for it.

In the Device Manager window see if there is anything under
Other Devices
or if any items have a question mark or exclamation mark on them.

If you see anything like that let us know what it is and someone can tell you what to do next.(it depends on what exactly you see)

Also what kind of video card are you plugging the HDMI into? I use an ATI card.

James

#3 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

There may also be a setting to adjust on the TV itself as some do require the HDMI port to be activated I believe. (don't bother with the TV myself so going off others replies elsewhere)

Nev.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#4 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

um there isnt anything wrong. Besides the video works perfect but for some reason the sound doesnt come through the tv... I also checked device manager but there is nothing wrong with any of my devices... plz help with my problem.... plz

Edited by sosolidj4tt, 12 February 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Also what kind of video card are you plugging the HDMI into? I use an ATI card.

I ask because that is what has to send the sound through an HDMI Audio Driver and on some cards you have to go into their program and turn it on.

James

#6 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

Nice hypothesis i dont know why i didnt think bout tht. um i hav a program by Intel called "intel graphics media accelerator driver for mobile" which is a program tht turns on and configures it self when i turn the hdmi on... do u know how to configure it (i am clue less bout this program :wacko: )

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

In Device Manager under

Sound, Video and Game Controllers

You should see at least two items. One will be your PC (or it sounds like you might be using a laptop which would be important to note :) ) sound card and the other or one of the others should be something like...

Intel HD audio HDMI

If you don't see an 'HDMI' or 'HD audio' item in there then your video driver did not install sound drivers for HDMI. Make sure that you have the latest driver version for your computer.

If you do see it, it may be disabled or experiencing a problem or it would have shown in the screenshot that you posted.

Hope this helps
James

#8 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

yea i see the hdmi audio driver but it says its working properly. I tried to update the driver but it says it is updated already.**confused**... btw yes i am using a laptop...
***edit: I tried re-installing it but it is still not in the speaker dialog... as in the screen shot.
i also realized ur from new jersey, me too! :thumbup2:

Edited by sosolidj4tt, 13 February 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

This seems to be an issue with computers that were upgraded to Windows 7 (the HDMI audio device disappears from the 'Playback Devices' list). Was yours originally Windows 7 or did you upgrade it?

Try this site to see if you need an updated driver.

http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm

Jersey Jim LOL

Edited by NeverSayDie, 13 February 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#10 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

yes it was! i originally had windows vista then upgraded cause of a virus. i guess tht is the issue...
i tried checking for updates but i found nothing. do u know a fix for this issue?

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Every successful outcome I found involved going to that Intel site and upgrading the drivers :(

You can check the website of the manufacturer of your laptop and see if they have Windows 7 drivers for your video.

James

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

I did find that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 addressed an issue similar to yours. Make sure that you have Service Pack 1 installed (I would be surprised if you did not).

You can check it quickly by pressing the windows key on your keyboard (usually between ctrl and alt) and while pressing it, tap the 'Pause/Break' key (usually by the Scroll Lock key on the upper right of the keyboard)

It will open a System window
In it you should see
Service Pack 1
listed in the Windows Edition section.

James

#13 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

yup i have sp1 but do u know of any updates cause i cant find any.... or does sp2 fix it? do u of any website tht talks bout any fixes for this issue? :mellow:

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

You can check the website of the manufacturer of your laptop and see if they have Windows 7 drivers for your video.

I only mentioned SP1 because you didn't give many details about what your system is so there was no way to know how current it is :) There is no SP2.

James

#15 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

:wink: :busy: :clapping: :thumbsup: THANK YOU DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! UR THE BEST! Srry i bothered u... :crazy:.
So i went back to the intel updates and i had one more driver left to update but tht was only the graphic driver and had i thought tht had nothing to do with the issue. But i ignored this fact and still downloaded and updated the driver. When it was installing it said it was downloading TWO drivers the graphic driver and the HDMI AUDIO DRIVER! :lmao: :o :lol: :woot:
.... but i really dont think intel should hav done tht, they should've made two different updates for tht :angry: tht really confused me.
anyways....
I thank you and bleeping-computer from the bottom of my heart for the help! Keep u the gud work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users