Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Safe Search

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

I use Firefox as my default browser and all works well.

When I set my Google Search settings on Firefox to "No filtering" it sticks and that is that. When I do the same on Chrome it says it saves my decisions and all is OK on the session, but when I next open Chrome it shows "Moderate". Big Brother is trying to protect me from the evil world.

I am a big boy and can take everything the net can throw at me and still enjoy my meal at the end of it.
Whilst I respect the gullible and feeble minded attitude of some people in our society, I do not appreciate this mentality trying to protect me from all life's evils, I am quite capable of doing this myself.

So, How can I disable Google`s Safe Search and consign it to the dustbin where in my world it belongs ? AND why does Firefox accept and retain my personal needs whilst Chrome ignores them and insists on filtering my browsing to the level of a Granny`s garden party?

One thing I cannot accept in my life is censorship. I am more than capable of censoring what confronts me myself and will not collapse in a heap whatever the subject matter may be.

I am an adult and adults should have the mental ability to look after themselves, not expect to be nursemaid-ed through life by puritanical minders.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Are you saving the cookies related to safe search in chrome?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Just a slight comment on this matter. I am not alone, there are many complaints on the web and Forums about the issue. It appears that a high percentage of users are unable to fix their personal Safe Search settings, however they try and they have tried everything.

The settings in my case as with all the others return to "Moderate" every time I shut down after effectively disabling Safe Search by setting it at "No Filtering".

Apparently Google are aware of this, they even replied on one Forum that it would be fixed some time ago, but as of now nothing has been done.

I do like Chrome after customizing it, but until Google put their house in order with these problems and the abominable start-up delay, mostly due to Google things like Cache and Home Page etc. plus long delays in use, I will stick with Firefox, where the response is very good and problems are non-existent, for me at least.

PLEASE NOTE !!
The personal "No Filtering" Safe Search settings on Firefox DO NOT return to "Moderate" on shut down, they remain unchanged.

I cannot understand this at all - Google/Firefox works OK whilst Google/Google does not !
Can anybody offer any logical explanation for this ? How on earth can the Google system work on Firefox and not on Google Chrome ? Incredible.

Edited by yabbadoo, 13 February 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Are you saving the cookies related to safe search in chrome?

As far as I know I am. I have followed the procedure stated on the web and even saved 3rd party Cookies.

But all Cookies and associated site data will be cleared automatically on shut down except for Google`s which are exempted.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Are you logged in to your Google account with Chrome and set preferences? You can 'Lock' your setting.

Preferences: http://www.google.com/preferences Need to be logged in to lock it.

About Safe Search Lock. SafeSearch Lock

Sign in to lock SafeSearch.
Locking SafeSearch sets SafeSearch to use strict filtering and restricts others' ability to change this preference. Strict filtering filters both explicit text and explicit images from your search results.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Are you logged in to your Google account with Chrome and set preferences? You can 'Lock' your setting.

Preferences: http://www.google.com/preferences Need to be logged in to lock it.

About Safe Search Lock. SafeSearch Lock

Sign in to lock SafeSearch.
Locking SafeSearch sets SafeSearch to use strict filtering and restricts others' ability to change this preference. Strict filtering filters both explicit text and explicit images from your search results.

Thanks so much for trying, but when I did lock the SafeSearch, it never saved and locked my "No Filtering", it went to "Strict Filtering". This is exactly the opposite to what I want and is effectively the level of censorship that one would apply to 5 year old kiddy winkles to protect them from all evils.

As Firefox does not have this problem and Chrome does, my conclusion is that it is entirely a Google Chrome issue. I guess that with Firefox, ALL the Google cookies are saved on shut down and with Chrome this is not the case. Somehow Google have screwed it up with their own system and a cookie which is needed to save this personal setting is being deleted on shut down.

I suppose Google will get there eventually, but I am quite happy with my beloved Firefox. Don`t get me wrong, after customizing Chrome, I like it, but it takes a hell of a long time to load from start at times and with bugs like we are discussing, I can afford to wait until Chrome is bug free and meets the high standards of Firefox in consistent response times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users