Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dying Monitor issues on HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

First off, good Sunday morning to everyone. Coffee's on if you're interested.

Having an issue with my wife (relatively) new HP G60 Laptop.

It's about 18 months old, running Windows 7 64 bit.

A few days ago when she went to power it up the monitor was dark.

I could just barely see the desktop and tried tweaking the brightness/darkness control and could tell that the faint image that I could see was responding to the commands.

Did the obvious - power cycled - and after two tries *poof* it was back. It happened again yesterday and the old trusty reboot again solved the issue.

There have been no recent changes to the laptop, i.e. no new software/apps installed and it's a laptop that doesn't travel much, it's spends most of it's time on the table and has not recently gone anywhere (been jostled around or bumped).

The only thing that I recently did on the laptop as of late is that I plugged in a dying Seagate External HD into one of the two USB ports on the side.

The dying external HD has been an ongoing project and in an effort to try to resolve that issue I plugged the HD into one USB port and then the other. The laptop found the Seagate driver and installed that but did not 'see' the dying external.

A few days later the monitor issue began.

Not sure if I 'bumped' anything plugging the external into the USB ports (is there a graphics card near those?) or if it's likely that it's not related at all.

So there you have it.

Any ideas? Anyone seen anything like this before? Anyone need another cup of coffee?

Thanks,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThzNutz

ThzNutz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

Usually indicates a problem with the FL Inverter (the device that ramps up voltage to light the cold cathode tubes that in turn light up the screen). It is not unusual for that particular part to exhibit intermittent symptoms before failing completely. I have also found in some G60's that the video cable can cause some binding which will pull on the connector to the FL Inverter. This is easy to find as the symptom will present when the lid is partially closed. It can also be the cold cathode tubes themselves (if one fails they both do, at least as interpreted by the inverter)but this will usually manifest as a darker or redish screen prior to going black. Most likely the inverter, a cheap and easy to fix.

Edited by ThzNutz, 15 February 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#3 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

i got my inverter and screen for my hp at

http://www.atlascomputerparts.net/viewstoreitem.php/atlascomputerparts/pd4461637/HP_Compaq_LCD_Inverter_Board_19.21072.081_CG50_G50_CG60_G60

Cheap and easy to install..

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the insight and links.

Appreciate the feedback about the FL Inverter (just learning about my desktop, so I know even less about a laptop!) as well as things to look for.

Any updates on the issue I'll try to post this weekend.

Onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users