Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Recovery Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 amburke

amburke

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

I hate to be a bother but I've tried to fix this problem by myself but can't seem to get anywhere. I read many related topics and they were a great deal of help but now Iím stuck.
The story thus far:

Thursday evening while on my computer, doing nothing out of the ordinary, the computer suddenly shut itself down and restarted. I knew this wasnít good. At the time I had a word document, itunes, and a window to Mozilla open but wasnít active on it but in previous days had been redirected while on google and have found out now after the fact that that is a sign of a Trojan I wasnít aware of.
Once the computer came back on I immediately ran first Microsoft Security Essentials (which I'll be honest, I'm paranoid over and run once a day, same with maleware bytes) and it removed some issues and then ran Maleware Bytes, nothing came up and I thought the issue was resolved. Until Friday, after being away for work I came home and turned on the computer only to find I was immediately barraged with warnings from Security Essentials and Maleware Bytes. I tried to run Security Essentials and while it worked it told me to completely remove the threat I would have to run a program called, Iím remembering correctly, the offline standalone security sweeper. Being skeptical I ran it by a few friends who said it sounded ok. I downloaded the program to a CD, per the programs instructions, and ran the programs as the startup (not sure if thatís the correct terminology- I went to the boot menus and had it start from the CD, just to be clear). It seemed to work and I had been told that I would receive instructions from the program but after the clean up but after the Trojan was removed I donít know if I jumped the gun and rebooted or if the computer did but when it rebooted the whole mess with the startup recovery/repair began, I had not had the issue before attempting to this fix but thatís not to say it wasnít ineveitable with or without it because I could tell the Trojans was working fast.
Since it was so late I decided to call it a night and try again in the morning and have spent the rest of the day trying to repair the damage and only recently came across information about the redirect virus being connected to my problem. Per instructions I found in these forums I downloaded farbar (the 64 version) and ran it but from there I am stumped as to what to do.
I am a freelance writer and although I have most of, if not all, of my documents are saved to an external hard drive this is still very stressful to me. The computer is only a little over a month old and I thought I had taken good care of it thus far but apparently not.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hello amburke,

Welcome to the forum.

Please update me on the current condition of your computer and tell me if you have problem booting to Windows.

Also please copy and paste the content of FRST.txt to your reply.

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

You are most welcome. :)

This thread will now be closed since the issue seems to be resolved.

If you need this topic reopened, please send me a Private Message and I will reopen it for you.

If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic.

Every one else should start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users