Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screensaver stuck

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aloflin

aloflin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:54 AM

I leave my computer on most all the time...but after it goes to the screensaver (and has been running for some time, like overnight) it tends to stick. I have to hold in the power button until my pc shuts down and reboot to get back into my computer to do anything. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? Thanks for your help!...and hope I posted this in the correct forum!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:04 AM

Are you using the sceensavers that come with Windows, or are they from a thrid-party like Webshots?

Something is telling me that your problem is related to applications running while the screen saver is on. What version of Windows are you using: 9x, ME, 2K, XP?

If you are using XP, have you recently upgraded to SP2?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 aloflin

aloflin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:28 AM

It's a 3rd party screensaver from the Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo site...www.cfdrodeo.com.
Am still using Windoews 98.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:07 AM

I should have known you was not using XP, I did not even look at the forum that you posted to :thumbsup:

Lets determine if the screen saver is causing the lock-up. I am not saying that it is the cause, I just want to go through a process of elimination. Turn your screen saver off for now. Turn off the monitor, and wait for a couple of hours or so. Come back to the computer, turn the monitor back on, and see if it is locked up.

If you want to wait overnight for that step, then you can try a few other things before it.
Turn on your computer with your internet connection removed. Run your screen saver just like you did before and see it you still get a lock-up. The easiest way to prevent you having to go through configurations again for the internet, is to plug it back in before your turn your computer back on.
You may have some malware running on your computer. Take a look at this site's tutorial on Spyware, found here. The link also has d/l for the program that it is referring to.
After you have installed that program, and you find that you still have some problems, I would recommend that you post a Hi Jack This log. The tutorial on this site makes for a very interesting read, but changes should only be made by someone who knows what they are doing with it. Hi Jack This tutorial The link also includes the d/l of the program and how to post it to the board.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:19 PM

It might be a good idea to go to: control panel--display- and install a different screensaver and let it go for a few weeks--if you don't have the same problem--then you definately have a screen saver file with coorupted or infected data. Also Win 98 has a power saving turn off system that can be set where you can turn offf monitor or Hard drive. If you have this set, it may be this program that is doing the job on the screen saver--good luck--
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users