Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Disabled (due to virus?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ikana14

ikana14

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

My parents' dell laptop seems to have contracted some sort of virus, but I can't seem to figure out what it is. The main problem is that the internet connection has been blocked. I am currently on my laptop and have no problem with the internet connection. Windows Defender is off/out of date and I cannot get it to function. On start-up there is a quickset.exe - Entry Point Not Found pop-up. It says: The procedure entry point WlanCloseHandle could not be located in the dynamic link library Wlanapi.dll. Also, not sure if it's related, but there is another pop-up that says: Could not load file or assembly 'MOM.Implementation' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. I wanted to run some spyware/virus scan but since I can't access the internet at all I'm stuck. If anyone could help with this at all, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hello and welcome..
For the connection try these...

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If needed : type these one line at a time, press enter after each line. See if it works after each.

netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ikana14

ikana14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

I checked the LAN settings and those were fine. I also tried the dos Window instructions and that didn't do anything. I just tried running it in safemode with networking, but as soon as it started up there was a popup saying that windows had just recovered from an unexpected problem. It also couldn't find an internet connection.

I also noticed earlier that in the bottom right corner of the desktop it said Windows 7 7601 this is not a genuine copy of Windows. I bought this laptop about a year ago from Best Buy and haven't modified anything from the original software that came with the computer. Once I restarted, this was gone.

#4 ikana14

ikana14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

I also just got another pop up: DSUpd.exe - Application Error saying: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process ID=0x96c (2412), Thread ID=0x2d0 (720). Click OK to terminate the application. Click CANCEL to debug the application.

not sure if any of this helps, but thanks so much for your time!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

If that is here .. %PROGRAMFILES%\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\DSUpd.exe
then its the Dell update launcher... maybe some corruption.

can you run this?

My linkRepair Windows 7 System Files
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users