Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MFT Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tonnawd

tonnawd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

On one of my pcs I have hundreds of MFT files and only a couple on all others. Is this a bad thing? I am feeling like the pc is cluttered now that I noiticed this. I reformatted it about 6 months ago. It is running XP sp3 pro with most of the latest downloads. No brand, it is home built. Asus motherboard, pentium®, 2 dual gigs of ram.

Is this something that need attention?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

What do you mean precisely by "MFT File"?

#3 tonnawd

tonnawd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

MFT = Master File Table. Suppose to contains information about every file and directory on an NTFS volume. There is next to nothing on this pc, where my others with tons of stuff have one to five MFT files vs 100's.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

The Master File Table backing files ought not be visible to users. Where are you seeing these files?

#5 tonnawd

tonnawd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

They show up on smart defrag 2

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Oh, I see now: your Master File Table is fragmented. If you're using Windows Vista or newer then the built-in defragmenter will defragment the MFT. If you're using Windows XP, you can use the contig.exe utility from Microsoft. Contig.exe is a command-line tool for defragmenting single files. Just use it with the MFT as it's argument: contig.exe C:\$MFT

Edited by Andrew, 11 February 2012 - 09:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users