Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding users to domain?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 e46redline

e46redline

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just installed Server 08 R2 and created a domain controller via dcpromo.

How can I add other users (using Win7) in my home to the domain? Will I have to statically assign IPs?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

You add users using the Active directory user and computers on the server. Computers are added to active directory when you join them to the domain. Addressing is dependent on you have it configured. Best way is to set up a DHCP server on the server to handle addressing.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 e46redline

e46redline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

I think the problem I'm having is the OS. Win 7 and Vista home editions can't join a domain

#4 RunsWithSporks

RunsWithSporks

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

I do not believe you can join a domain with the home editions of XP, Vista or 7.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

No home editions can join a domain. That would include XP, Vista, and Win7. Professional is the lowest version that may join a domain.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users