Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS battery change, now non booting system

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

After noticing my system clock was not keeping the correct time on a Packard Bell iMEDIA X2415 desktop running XP Pro, I removed the battery and went out and bought a new CMOS battery, which was a direct replacement for the original battery, after fitting the battery I restarted the system which then gave me one of those blue screens which we all love! with the error code 0x0000007B, indicating an inaccessible boot device, the rest of the blue screen code is (0xB84c3524,0C0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000) which, after a little research, indicates a device driver problem. In the standard CMOS setup the Primary IDE master is not detected, it is a SATA drive anyway, under advanced setup, the first boot device is the DVD drive, and the second boot device is my hard drive, listed as PO-ST3500620AS, so the system is recognizing the hard drive but cannot access it. I loaded Ubuntu linux from the DVD drive to check the condition of the hard drive which came out as an uncorrupted NTFS file system. I'm thinking, if it is a corrupt driver file, then replacing the driver on a system that will not boot could be problematical. I'm sitting here wondering how all this hassle could come about from a simple CMOS battery change!
Any help with this problem will be gratefully received.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

After changing the battery...the default seetings should be reset in the BIOS and saved.

If you don't want the defaults...change whatever you like, save the settings/reboot the system.

Set your hard drive as the first boot option.

Louis

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm not sure of your BIOS version so I might be a little off on these directions...

Go into your BIOS
Choose STANDARD CMOS CONFIGURATION
Please list what it says for the drives from

IDE Primary
TO
S-ATA 4

Let me know if this is not how your BIOS looks :)

James

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,082 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

One thing to try.

Go into the Bios and see how the hard drive controller is set.

If it is set to IDE (ATAPI), try setting it to AHCI.
If it is set to AHCI try setting it to IDE (ATAPI)
If it has a Raid setting try setting that too.

You might also speed up the boot once you have the proper bios settings by putting teh hard drive first so it doesn't waste time checking the CDRom drive before booting from the hard drive.

The error you are seeing is normal when the Drive type has been changed. Which could quite easily have happened when you changed the battery.

NOt likely to be a corrupt driver. If you think about it the only thing that changed was the BIOS (CMOS) settings from changing the battery.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

The hard drive is now set as the 1st boot device and settings have been saved but it still cannot see the hard drive, here are the settings under primary IDE master:
Primary IDE master
Device: not detected

Type Auto
LBA/Large mode Auto
Block (multi-sector transfer) Auto
P10 mode Auto
DMA mode Auto
S.M.A.R.T. Disabled
32Bit Data transfer Enabled

One other thing I have noticed, which may have something or nothing to do with the problem, is that the system clock is gaining about 2hrs in the space of about 30mins, even with the old battery put back in??

#6 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Here are my settings in Standard CMOS setup:

Primary IDE Master Not Detected
Primary IDE slave Not Detected
Base memory 640k
Extended Memory 3073Mb
System BIOS version PBDV10.P17
BIOS Release Date 4/08/08
Video BIOS version 5.73.32.09.11
Manufacturer Intel
Intel ® Core ™2Quade CPU Q6600@2.4GHz
Frequency 2.4GHz
FSB speed 1066MH
Cache L1 2 x 128Kb
Cache L2 8192 Kb
CPU I.D. 6FBh
Memory channel Single channel
Memory speed 667Mhz

#7 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I can't get into anything that will tell me how the hard drive is set, it seems as if, as far as the PC goes, there is no hard drive to display settings for, all I get is Not Detected. I've not messed with any of the cabling at all, the physical set-up is as it was before the trouble.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,943 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm doing it off the top of my head so I'm probably thinking of the wrong BIOS :(

What I would expect would be for you to see something like.

Primary IDE slave CD Drive
S-ATA 1 Your Hard Drive
S-ATA 2 not detected
S-ATA 3 not detected
S-ATA 4 not detected

I'll try to find more info for you.

EDIT 1: can you let us know what version of BIOS you have? What does it say at the bottom of the BIOS screen? Thanks

EDIT 2: I found a similar PC and booted it up to see how SATA is configured and in the BIOS see if you have this setting...
Go to Integrated Peripherals
Do you see
SATA Configuration (IDE)

and if so, what is is set to? (Enabled, Disabled or Enhanced)

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 11 February 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#9 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

For James, hi, this is the way my settings are at the moment:

Primary IDE slave Not Detected
SATA 1 Hard Disc
SATA 2 ATAPI CD ROM
SATA 3 Not Detected
SATA 4 Not Detected

The BIOS version is PBDV10.P17

I went into Integrated Peripherals and SATA mode select is set to SATA, with the other options being Raid Mode and AHCI.

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,943 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

That all seems correct and your BIOS is seeing the hard drive.

Are you still having the weird clock issue?

One other thing I have noticed, which may have something or nothing to do with the problem, is that the system clock is gaining about 2hrs in the space of about 30mins, even with the old battery put back in??

That's the part that makes me unsure that it is a disk problem.

Maybe someone here can help you with making a boot disk to test your disk (like you did with the Ubuntu disk).

James

#11 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Yes, the clock is still running fast. In my wanderings around the BIOS in Integrated Peripherals I set the SATA temporarily to RAID which then gave some options, one of the options said SATA Primary Master channel is disabled, which sounded promising so I enabled it and then re-booted thinking I might have found the root of the problem, but no, no change. Maybe I can get somewhere tomorrow, which will be the third day of trying to sort this problem out. I'll keep you posted.
Geoff.

#12 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Well, I finally got the major problem sorted out, I had left the drive set as RAID last night after trying every setting under the sun, I changed it back today to SATA and restarted the system, I got: there is a problem with windows so I selected "start windows normally" and much to my surprise, it booted up to the operating system! I shut down and re-started to make sure this was not some weird fluke, and it re-booted to the operating system again, this time without the Problem with windows screen. There must have been a series of settings that were wrong in the BIOS and it was just a matter of getting them all right at the same time!
One thing remains however: the system clock is still gaining time at a rapid rate but I think I can put up with that for the time being although inevitably it will start to bug me and I'll have to do something about it, but not right now, and when I do I'm going to write down all of my BIOS settings in advance. Ha, thanks for all of your help.
Geoff.

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,943 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

I'm happy to here you got it up and running again.

You might want to run a chkdsk to make sure that the drive made it through this without any potential problems.

James

#14 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi James, I did run chkdsk/r which completed without any problems, and, I found I could get around the clock problem by downloading a program called Dimension 4 an atomic clock, so my system is now showing the correct time.
Thanks again.
Geoff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users