Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

building a netbook

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mitsy37

mitsy37

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

I want to build a netbook, designed for travel, with these features, can anyone recommend what I would need to put under the hood to make it happen. Cheap is the aim of the game.
- webcam for skype
- music playback through headphones only
- video playback (internet or usb only; no dvd drive)
- photo storage
- basic photo editing
- Surf the internet

That is all it is required to do. The more crap I can trim off it the better. With that said; it does need to be able to do those things to a reasonable standard.

So what I am ultimately asking is all the simple questions like:
- how much ram?
how much storage?
what kind of hardrive?
what kind of processor?
what kind of graphic and audio cards?
etc etc

i need as much info as possible so that i can take it to someone and get an immediate quote on how much it would cost to build.

I am sure there is a million variables that i have not taken into account, however, please just go with "the minimum standard of what is required to achieve those tasks". Multi-application abilities are not a huge deal, however, i need it to remain fairly responsive with a lot of internet tabs open at once.

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

http://computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-laptop

http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/tips/build-your-own-notebook.aspx

http://www.build-your-own-cheap-computer.com/

In my uneducated opinion...building a netbook is a contradiction mentally.

The netbook concept was supposed to basically provide a no-frills system with limited performance demands/capability.

Based on that, I seriously doubt if "building one" will justify the time, energy, and cost...but I've been wrong before :).

Louis

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

It would be better much more better to buy rather then build one as that is far more complicated.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

This is like building a laptop, which is the one thing OEM's do better than DIY'ers. Given the tighter hardware integration and more complex design, building a laptop, let alone a netbook, is best left to the Dell's, HP's, and Sony's.

3939.png

#5 mitsy37

mitsy37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

Ok guys i know that I am better off buying than buidling, but can someone please just give me a list off technical attribuites that you would commonly find in a netbook of similiar capabilities to what I need.

Thanks in advance.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

The question is where are you gonna find these laptop parts?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 mitsy37

mitsy37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

The question is what would be the common computer components of a netbook of my above description.

Thanks in advance.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Basic netbook components would be the case, screen, keyboard, battery, hard drive, ram, motherboard, wifi card, processor, cooling system(fan, heatsink), touchpad. The motherboard on laptops usually have the audio chip/jack, chipset, card reader, usb ports etc already soldered onto it. Bluetooth is optional.

Edited by killerx525, 13 February 2012 - 12:03 AM.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users