Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If you are using McAfee - probably not

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

I updated my Adobe Reader and found that I had inherited a squatter called McAfee Security Scan, a freebie. OK I thought, I`ll give it a whirl.

On clicking their beautiful icon on my desktop, up came the usual panels for doing a scan. With uncontrollable anticipation, I clicked the jolly start button and off it went, jogging along scanning my computer. On completion of the first item - it was broken into sections, I can`t remember their exact titles, the scan stopped and up came a red blob.

"Oh my God" I yelled, " The Bogey Man has got me !". Well, this red blob that forecast an impending Armageddon was defined as the greatest sin of all times - I had not got McAfee`s jewel in the crown named "Site Adviser" installed ! After all these years, my PC life has been totally destroyed by the absence of this sacred and miraculous piece of software. It would not let the scan go on until I unconditionally surrendered on this ultimatum. I had the option of having a heart attack or rupturing myself laughing. I chose the rupture even though the expense of a truss would eat into my finances.

When I picked myself up off the carpet and allowed my shattered nerves to calm down, I hit that little "X" at the top of the scan panel and zapped it. Then I had MY moment of glory - I clicked the icon of Revo-Uninstaller, clicked McAfee Security Scan, clicked DELETE and enjoyed every second of what followed in a state of absolute ecstasy as this useless piece of hitherto unwanted software was progressively vaporized from my PC right in front of my very eyes.

What a waste of time, but WHAT A LAUGH !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, I had a good laugh.

Nowadays you need to watch when you download.. They try to slip things by you.

I see this often.
Free! Google Toolbar search Google from any web page, block pop-ups

Yes, install Google Toolbar - optional

You need to Unchecj a box..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, I had a good laugh.

Nowadays you need to watch when you download.. They try to slip things by you.

I see this often.
Free! Google Toolbar search Google from any web page, block pop-ups

Yes, install Google Toolbar - optional

You need to Unchecj a box..

Thanks Boopme, glad it made you giggle. I thought that I had been doomed to eternal damnation for walking through the Valley of Death jousting with the Good, the Bad and the Ugly all these years without the impenetrable armor of SITE-ADVISER.

That is ONE thing Sandboxie cannot protect me against - MYSELF ! Maybe the incredible Mr.Tzuk is working on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users