Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Management is blank. Virus.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 C.Kyuubi

C.Kyuubi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

I am trying to shrink the XP partition so I can install Ubuntu, but going into Disk Management gives me a blank page. I can't see C:, even though it's obviously there... I am in Administrator mode. It doesn't work in Safe Mode either. There is a pretty bad virus in Windows that may or may not be the cause... What is going on here?

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

I am not sure whether you see a blank page when accessing Disk Management, or the Disk Management window displays normally, but the hard drive on which Windows is installed is not reported. When the latter situation occurs it is often because of a rootkit infection. Before attempting to do what you are hoping to do, I suggest that you have the computer cleaned of malware.

You will need some expert assistance to deal with the issue, so please follow the instructions in the
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

When you have done that, post your log in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum", NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team experts.

Please let us know, here, if you have been able to successfully start your new topic.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users