Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

distinction between google account and gmail confusing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

The google services page tells that a google account does not automatically give the account holder a gmail account, yet the google account registration form plainly shows a 'choose username' field with a "@gmail.com". This makes me confused. Later, in the page's services description, the visitor is told that if he signs up for a gmail account, his first username becomes his alternate gmail account. I do not understand. If someone understands this and can explain, please explain.

One registers for a google account and then later, when signed in to the google account, one can also register for a gmail account. What is the meaning of these two usernames, or is this still only ONE username? Two gmails now after making only one google account and then one gmail account? Someone straighten this. Maybe the google account registration form only mistakenly shows the "@gmail.com"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

How about that whatever they say on the Google services page is baloney. I have a GMail account but I never started it and I don't really use it. But Google wants to use GMail as a default addy for anything they might send like from Youtube, Adsense etc. The one thing you can do is sync it up with your regular email account so you get all your email in your GMail account and you can use either account. But I can assure you that Google assigns a GMail account to anyone who opens a Google account.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Google assigns a GMail account to anyone who opens a Google account.

This may now be the case -
I set up a Gmail account 3 or 4 years ago, just for a spare access account, and then I needed to give another account for them to check I existed.
This was so they could also send details that the account had been set up.

If you gave another email account as "contact account" they know you exist, and will set up a new Gmail automatically now.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users