Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP starts to boot then screen goes black

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I inherited my wife's HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop. I needed a laptop for my job. When I started to use it I noticed that it was very slow so I started to remove some of the programs that I did not need. I also unchecked many of the items that were on the "start up" menu. That improved the speed and the time needed to boot up. Things were working just fine--the laptop was a welcomed tool for my job. Then one day (about a week ago) I noticed that after I had turned it on (then I walked away while it was booting up) I had a black screen. So I forced a shut down and restarted it again--this time watching the screen to see what was happening. After I pushed the power button the screen lit up with the normal HP logo--after which the Windows XP logo appeared--after a few seconds the screen went black!! So I waited for about 30 minutes and nothing happened--still a black screen. FYI The computer had been working fine for about three weeks before the black screen business started. Before that the computer had worked fine for 5 years for my wife with no problems!! Go figure!!

Anyway, I started it again and this time I thought that I would see if I could get it to boot up in "sake mode" and it did boot okay into safe mode so I tried a "restore" to an earlier time. After the restore I tried to see if it with boot into normal made--no it would not. So I tried the restore again to an earlier time--same results--would not boot up into normal mode. I tried to see if it had a earlier date to restore too, but I guess that it only had two for whatever reason.

One thing that I noticed one time when I had booted into safe mode and then looked at the "system configuration utility" in the "start up" and the "services" there was only one item checked in each one. That may be normal for safe mode, I don't know. But I checked what I thought was needed, but there was no change and now those items that I checked some how are unchecked again.

I have been using the laptop in safe mode for a few days but I would like to get it straightened out if possible.

The only thing that was done to the laptop shortly before this problem started was I installed a new main battery because the one that was in the machine was completely dead and would not recharge. After I replaced the battery the laptop worked fine for about a week. Also I did notice that a few days before the problem started there was a Microsoft automatic update.

As far as I know I have all of the CDís that came with the laptop when we bought it new.
Attached File  cd SM.JPG   95KB   6 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Repairing the Operating System
To repair the operating system without deleting your personal data, use the
Operating System disc that was shipped with the notebook: (You have that CD)

1.Connect the notebook to external power and turn on the notebook.

2.Immediately insert the
Operating System disc (included with the notebook) into the optical drive.

3.Press and hold the power/standby button for 5 seconds to turn off the notebook.

4.Press the power/standby button again to start the notebook.

5.When prompted, press any key to boot from the disc. After a few minutes, the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed.

6.Press
enter to continue. A Licensing Agreement screen is displayed.

If your system is not recognized as an existing Windows installation, you will not be able to repair the operating system without losing data.
Press
F3
to exit and refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/ for information on using Recovery Console. 7.Press f8 to accept the agreement and continue. The Setup window is displayed.

8.Press
R to repair the selected Windows installation. The repair process begins. The notebook restarts in Windows after the process is complete.

Directions from the HP web site -
Try it if you are OK with doing these things, most of which are fairly basic -

Any problems with this, please post back for more help

Thank You -

#3 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thanks--so far it is working okay. I'm glad that I kept those CD's!

OPPS! I spoke too soon--I just turned the laptop on to check something---and it is doing the same thing!!! Darn!

Edited by fred93, 12 February 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Hi Fred -
Did you retry the instructions again ??

If this worked the first time then re run the same process again and keep trying -

Thank You -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

FWIW: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Resolving Startup Problems in Windows 98, ME, and XP - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07173&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=364077&dlc=en#bph07173_determine

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=434660&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=434660&objectID=c01997899

Louis

#6 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Hi Fred -
Did you retry the instructions again ??

If this worked the first time then re run the same process again and keep trying -

Thank You -

I did it five times---three times like you outlined above and two times with an additional DVD that I found entitled "Application and Driver Recovery DVD". Every time it would download all the the files and windows would restart okay--but then after that if I restarted XP it would go to a black screen after the Windows XP logo appeared on the monitor.

At this point I have no problem formatting the HD and starting all over--I need this laptop to work. I don't have that much stuff on it that I need to be worried about saving anything. As long as it works after the format I am good to go. One thing though---I noticed that even after I used the recovery CD and XP started okay (that is for one time only-then the next time I had a black screen)the wireless internet connection would not work. So even if I format the HD and reinstall XP (and office 2003 etc) I will need that wireless internet capability to work. The wireless netnet software was on the PC when we got it--so it was factory installed.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

It may be worth running some HP diagnostics as recommended previously by hamluis to double check your hardware before attempting a restoration. System Diagnostics for HP Pavilion ZD8000.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

It may be worth running some HP diagnostics as recommended previously by hamluis to double check your hardware before attempting a restoration. System Diagnostics for HP Pavilion ZD8000.

I went to the HP website and looked around for some help--however this laptop is so old (purchased in 2005) that HP doesn't even support it any more. SOOOOO before I take a BFH and totally destroy it I think that I will try to format the HD and reinstall the OS.I have a booklet that came with the pc that tells how to reinstall the OS and Drivers--I guess that I will try this--If I run into prolems I will let you know---many thanks for your help so far--you guys are the best!

#9 zerpft

zerpft

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

A few weeks ago I had exactly the same problem. They helped me resolve it on here. Please read the post and see if it sounds like what you are having.
I would boot get to the windows xp screen and it would go black. Then I could boot to safemode clean some files and it would allow me back into windows for a few hours/few days and then go back to a black screen.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic435279.html/page__p__2529618#entry2529618

What fixed it for me was from safe mode I ran Tdsskiller and it found a file. I allowed that file to be cured and everything has worked well since then. I am not a malware expert and if you find a problem with the Tdsskiller program you should probably post in the malware section before proceeding.

Tdsskiller link: http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

Again, the only reason I'm responding is because I had what sounds like the exact same issue. If I'm stepping out of bounds by posting what worked for me let me know.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Well...black screens have been a known, documented problem with various versions of Windows for eons...to assume that malware is at the heart of such...doesn't make much sense to me, when hardware and boot file problems are the more obvious suspects to be explored, IMO.

I consider it somewhat dangerous to generalize about a common phenomenon...just based on personal experiences that will not be found among documented probable causes/resolutions.

Louis

#11 zerpft

zerpft

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I agree with you hamluis and possibly I spoke too soon. I am probably just too excited about my system being fixed I jumped the gun. The entire time I posted in above link I was sure it was a hardware or software problem and not malware. I followed every direction that I was given to the letter and it didn't seem to help. For some reason it worked for me and logically from all of my previous experience I could not explain why. (although I can not say I am displeased with the results)

fred - good luck with solving your issue. you are in great hands with this forum.

#12 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

I agree with you hamluis and possibly I spoke too soon. I am probably just too excited about my system being fixed I jumped the gun. The entire time I posted in above link I was sure it was a hardware or software problem and not malware. I followed every direction that I was given to the letter and it didn't seem to help. For some reason it worked for me and logically from all of my previous experience I could not explain why. (although I can not say I am displeased with the results)

fred - good luck with solving your issue. you are in great hands with this forum.

Thanks for your input

#13 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Okay--here we go---I "reinstalled windows" (and the install cd formatted the HD) and everything seemed to be going well. I then "reinstalled" the drivers from the DVD that came with the pc. After it was finished reinstalling the drivers it asked if I would like to restart the computer--I said yes. Deja vu!!! Same ole same ole---HP logo--then Windows logo--then black screen----HOWEVER--because I have reinstalled Windows I now have sound which I didn't have before (for whatever reason) when the "black screen" was present (after the windows logo) I heard the "Windows opening" sound!!! Then, while the screen was still black I could here the pop sound that windows makes whenever a message comes up at the lower right corner (like "your computer is not protected with a anti virus" or whatever) So I assume that windows has opened/booted up but for whatever reason I just can't see it on the monitor. (I did plug in another monitor but it did not show anything but a black screen either)

Now, if there is a problem with a video card I would assume that I would not be able to see anything on the monitor-safe mode or regular--yes??? I can see the hp logo and the start up logo for windows and when I go into "safe mode" I can see everything at that time as well. And also when I reinstalled Windows the pc restarted and Windows booted up just fine and I could see everything!!! What is going on here????

I called HP and because of the age of the laptop they have no support at all--buy a new one is their suggestion. And I will do that if it is my only option. I am pretty good with a screwdriver and pliers--so if I need to replace a part in this thing I will try if it is economically feasible!!!

Edited by fred93, 15 February 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

"Now, if there is a problem with a video card I would assume that I would not be able to see anything on the monitor-safe mode or regular--yes??? I can see the hp logo and the start up logo for windows and when I go into "safe mode" I can see everything at that time as well. And also when I reinstalled Windows the pc restarted and Windows booted up just fine and I could see everything!!! What is going on here????>>

Could be corrupt video drivers...could be failing video chip...could be failing motherboard or some other hardware item.

If video works in safe mode, then it's the driver (probably), since safe mode uses the default Windows drivers.

If it's a failing hardware component...there is no reason to expect a particular patterned response. Intermittent problems would be the order of the day (IMO) until total failure occurs.

The fact that it's a laptop doesn't leave many options for troubleshooting, IMO.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00372177&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=434660&prodTypeId=321957&printver=true

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02762272&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1132536

Louis

#15 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Okay--lets see if this helps any. I just did a quick format/reinstall of Windows XP and I DID NOT do a reinstall of the drivers DVD that came with the pc. And I have restarted the pc without any problems three times! However I have noticed that I have no sound (and I did have sound yesterday when I did the first reinstall/format plus I do not have any icons on the desktop (and I did have a few icons on the desk top yesterday--but I don't remember what they were---other than one icon was for greeting card software) Does this new information shed any light on the problem???

Now I know that I need to install the drivers but I think that if I do that I will be right back to square one!!!

Edited by hamluis, 16 February 2012 - 06:20 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users