Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't undo system restore

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 8literbeater

8literbeater

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

the beginning part of the story probably isn't important, but essentially I did a system restore on my computer based on its own recommendation. Then I realized that I hadn't backed up my English paper to my flash drive yet. So now my english paper document is gone, and I can't undo the system restore because the undo button is not where it's supposed to be according to the instructions on MS.

Is there a way? I mostly just need that document. Another document for my logic class is half gone now too, but it's not as hard to redo.

Thanks people,
8literbeater

Edited by 8literbeater, 10 February 2012 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

First things first, if your file was saved, System Restore shouldn't have touched it. It doesn't deal with regular user files. Have you done a full search for it?

Did you do the system restore from Safe Mode?

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

If we find that you cannot undo the restore operation, that program may find your paper.

Be aware that the longer you use the system, the more likely your paper will be overwritten by the normal OS operation (logging, etc.).

Edited by LucheLibre, 11 February 2012 - 06:27 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Just to reiterate the part of the above post you're most concerned with at the moment (although the entire post is certainly accurate), system restore does not effect the My Documents folder. If your paper was on the system before you used system restore, then it should still be in the same location.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

If you remember any parts of your file's name you can search for it with an excellent free tool called: Agent Ransack.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 8literbeater

8literbeater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that I was in the middle of writing the paper on OpenOffice. I have it set to save a temporary copy every minute or two, but I had not done a full save yet, I guess. I'm using my phone for this right now but I will try one of the tools mentioned when I get to my computer.

This whole thing is happening because of this other problem I'm having. Pretty much whenever I let my computer touch my couch (it's a netbook), the screen goes black and I have to shut it off with the power button. Then this time, on startup, it suggested a system restore and I thought "sure no problem" and after I clicked the button -- I realized…it was probably gonna lose that file.

So, I'm sorry for asking for help without giving the necessary information. I know how frustrating that is.

Thank you all for your help!

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=70205

That discussion should lead you to your temporary or backup file.

What is your couch made of? How long does it take for the screen to go black after you set it on the couch?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

If the couch is of a soft cushioning nature, it is most likely blocking air in and out, therefore things will quickly overheat, the machine will shut down to protect itself when high temperatures are detected.
I doubt there is a static electricity issue, but if said couch is of nylon or other artificial fibres, there is a possibility of it.

Nev.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

<<...did a system restore on my computer based on its own recommendation.>>

Do you mean that you used the Windows System Restore function...or do you mean that you reset the system to factory defaults, as it was when purchased?

There are major differences.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#9 8literbeater

8literbeater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

I believe it's a static electricity issue. The couch is microfiber and it zaps everything and everybody. I thought it was overheating, but it only goes out when I slide it or set it down. I can use it for a couple hours, unless I forget and try to adjust it. I can use it on my bed without problems, and I know it gets hot on there. It is my assumption that there is not much shielding or whatever to protect from static, because it's so small (11.6). My roommate has a 17" laptop and he slides his back and forth on the couch all the time with no problems.

hamluis - I had it go black on me, then I was starting it up and it showed a screen that said something like "problem during startup, recommend system restore to a point where computer worked properly" "continue" or "restore to earlier setting" - something like that. So I didn't use the system restore myself, I allowed it to restore. I still have all of my settings, pictures, programs and files, except the ones that I was in the middle of editing.

It is a Gateway (Acer) lt3119u.

#10 8literbeater

8literbeater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=70205

That discussion should lead you to your temporary or backup file.

What is your couch made of? How long does it take for the screen to go black after you set it on the couch?

Thank you for the suggestion. I followed through on it but there are no backups or temp files for this, since they must have gone away in the restore process.

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

system restore had nothing to do with you loosing the file ,it was the force shut down that would have done it , that happened before the system restore ,but the file must be around somewhere ,you said you had open-office set to save it ever few minutes as you worked on it ,this function would only work if you already save the file ,

Edited by caperjac, 13 February 2012 - 06:13 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users