Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Father shoots teenage daughter's laptop

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-belkin/father-shoots-laptop_b_1267850.html

----I gotta tell ya: After seeing that video, I'm truly all choked-up over what this kid has to go through with a father like THAT!

I also got a good bridge I wanna sell someone on here if they're interested. :thumbup2:
People do dumb things. And I'm not talking about paying too much for car insurance either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

if it was a first time offense-I think id agree with you, poor daughter, but seeing as from the video, its been a repeated problem-the kid doesnt have it that bad (seriously, dad buys her nice computer, and barely any chores) and she keeps being rebellious and rude, and tries to publicly humiliate her parents on facebook-well I think this is a creative solution. Is it a bit extreme? maybe, but sometimes kids need that, and he wasnt beating her, he wasnt yelling or screaming at her, in fact he was more respectful in his comments toward her then the other way around so I say go dad, in the same shoes, Id do the same thing, only id use a bigger gun.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

A shotgun would have been perfect....

#4 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

WOOO HOOOO GO DAD!! :clapping: :hysterical:

That miserable lil monster got just exactly what she deserved.... :busy:

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

A shotgun would have been perfect....

how bout a 12 gauge firing 3 inch magnum? :P

Edited by the_patriot11, 10 February 2012 - 09:46 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

I personally think this was a little extreme, but still kind of funny. The computer nerd in me really hated it being shot though, because there are so many uses for a spare laptop, I would have just taken it and used it for personal use or something. It was kind of strange to me how he spend (according to the video) $130 in software/upgrades and then threw it all away by shooting it.

#7 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

@ lhamil64,
This child was way outta control and needed a very strong lesson....if the cost of making her a better human being is the price of a Lap top ...then so be it....Just my pennies worth..

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

hey, its his 130 bucks to shoot down the hole, I agree with missplaced-if his daughter learned something from it, then its $130 well spent. With that being said, Id love to know about the daughters reaction. . .

picard5.jpg

#9 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

@ Mr. Patroit,
I'd say "Hissy FIT" would pretty well cover it.. :lol:

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

Nope, not big enough 3.5" shells make a bigger boom! (Just don't try to Shoot them from a Pistol Grip Only Mossburg, wore a wrist brace for weeks after that fun time). His money bought the laptop, he can do whatever he see's fit to do with it.

Posted Image

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

well, my mossberg (regular rifle stock) is only chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch, so it will have to do :P

picard5.jpg

#12 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

The kid and all of the people who praised her for creating that post sound like fine examples of the many people who throw a fit if they have to do anything resembling work.

Edited by lti, 14 February 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

That Dad seems to be trying desperately to show that he is cooler than his daughter and not to his daughter but to his daughters friends who will see it posted on her facebook wall. He's showing off that gun and the power he thinks it's giving him for all the wrong reasons. Quite pathetic, if you ask me.
Violence is never an answer, it doesn't matter whether it's carried out against an object or against a person. I mean what is the girl supposed to take from this "Do as I say or next time I'll shoot something that's even dearer to you"?
I couldn't agree more with the tenor of the article.

This being said, having to do the chores as a kid is always a touchy topic. As a kid there's no bigger injustice in life than having to do the dishes (especially if the brother never has to), I'm sure parents seeing their kids throw such a tantrum probably think there's no bigger injustice than them seeing to every whim of the kids and then receive such a tantrum in response when they're asked to do the most basic things around the house. The solution to that however is not to act like a child yourself and go destroy your daughters favourite toy because she's been mean. If my dad had pulled that stunt I would've lost a lot of the respect I have for him and with that any intention to actually listen to anything he says be it about chores or other things.

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Myrti,

I'm curious, what would your solution be to this??

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

I really dont think it was all that violent I see it as more of a creative punishment if you ask me.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users