Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Removing Old CA Internet Security Suite

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

I cleaned a virus from an old XP install today and ESET Nod was current on it which kept the virus from getting far. It was easy to clean without damaging anything.

Before I cleaned it though, I looked it over good and found an old partial install of CA Internet Security on it. I wanted to remove it completely before attempting to clean the virus off.

What I tried
1. Add/Remove programs did not work (the uninstaller was not found)

2. Revo Uninstaller did not get everything.

3. I found some tools at CA to clean it off but whenever I ran them they said it required a remote desktop connection from a person at CA to remove it. (I was not ready to agree to that :) )

So, I did a manual uninstall using the information from Revo and that worked.

My question is...
Is there an easier way to clean a partial install of an old version of CA Internet Security off of an XP machine?

James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

I like AppRemover by opswat for the Apps it covers. See the Supported Applications tab on the Tutorial page.

Edited by boopme, 12 February 2012 - 03:21 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thanks I never saw that one before.

It does not cover the package I had trouble with and the closest one only uninstalls the Vista version not XP :(

However, I recognize many things on the Supported Apps list that have given me trouble in the past so I'm sure that I will be using AppRemover in the future.

I think the version that I did battle with was a short-lived OEM bundled version from a decade ago.

James

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. Still, I cannot believe CA only offers a removal tool by remote. {{{FACEPALM}}}

Who is CA anyway? Only place I recall it (their AV-Suite softwares) being promoted is Radio Shack. :whistle:

Edited by Union_Thug, 13 February 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

It's Computer Associates. I dealt with them years ago for enterprise security stuff and something about them always made me uncomfortable. They are huge but have had some interesting scandals that never seemed to be fully detailed in public.

When their removal software said I needed to give remote desktop permissions to their IP addresses, I was shocked. I've never seen that for a consumer product before. Let alone one that had been discontinued over 5 years ago.

Here's a little more info if you want to see what I mean ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_associates

James

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Ahhh, yes...the firm of ex-CEO Charles (Biggest Bonus in the History of MANKIND to that point) Wang. Thanks for the link, I actually skimmed thru that about 1/2 hour ago before I saw your reply, Google still CAN BE your friend lol.

Regards,
"Thug"

Edited by Union_Thug, 13 February 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

I found some tools at CA to clean it off but whenever I ran them they said it required a remote desktop connection from a person at CA to remove it. (I was not ready to agree to that

This is just a warning.You will get a pop up at the end ,click on RUN and uninstaller should start

We usually use CA removal tool to remove

https://remoteassist.ca.com/supportbridge/jsp/selfserve/processScriptRequestOwnWindow.jsp?divisionID=7&scriptID=179

https://remoteassist.ca.com/supportbridge/jsp/selfserve/processScriptRequestOwnWindow.jsp?divisionID=7&scriptID=259

This has worked in many cases

I work for a remote support process so we have launch the links directly in the browser on customer PC to start CA uninstallation

Downloading them and copying them to remote PC will not work like other antivirus uninstallers.

Edited by narenxp, 14 February 2012 - 01:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users