Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TxRunner2003

TxRunner2003

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

quick question, when you reinstall windows xp to the computer do you need to delete the partitions that have the memory space? If you need to what do you do if you get a message saying cannot delete partition b/c of important files or something like that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:37 PM

Re-installing XP will format the partition. It will not alter any partition but the partition you are installing to. You can use the XP installation disk to mdify, delete and format other partition and drives but it is manual not automatic. You will receive ample warning prior to any actions.

Edited by acklan, 15 February 2006 - 11:26 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

.... If you need to what do you do if you get a message saying cannot delete partition b/c of important files or something like that?

Generally, you get this error when trying to reinstall Windows while Windows is running. Since Windows "locks" files for it's own use - the installation routine can't get at them. In this case your options are, generally, to install Windows on another drive, or to exit Windows and boot from the Windows Installation CD.

Also, there's 2 types of "re-installations". One is a "repair" of Windows - it leaves your files and programs intact. The other is a "clean" installatin - which replaces everything on your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TxRunner2003

TxRunner2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:43 PM

yeh what i want to do is just wipe everything clean on this computer & make it like almost new again if that makes sense b/c when i reinstall it i always see the same folders in the program files of programs that i used before so how would i just wipe everything completly clean?

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:51 PM

You could download KillDisk and do a quick wipe prior to installing XP. This will insure no previous data will surive the formating process.

#6 TxRunner2003

TxRunner2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

and then after i do killdisk just pop the XP cd in the drive & do the normal installation?

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

and then after i do killdisk just pop the XP cd in the drive & do the normal installation?

My experience with Killdisk is that then you must boot with a DOS boot disk afterwards, run the fdisk utility (by simply typing fdisk at the prompt and hitting 'enter' when asked any and all questions). Once fdisk is done, then just pop in your XP disk and install like normal, being sure to do a full format and not a quick format when prompted.

Perhaps acklan's experience has been different than mine.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:33 PM

You should be able to boot with the XP disk and partition/format? I have taken unformated/unpartitioned drive and XP prompted me at the start of the install.

#9 TxRunner2003

TxRunner2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

so after i run killerdisk i have to use the DOS boot disk before i put in the windows xp disk? sorry im pretty new at trying to wipe clean my computer

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:17 PM

I have not had to in the past. When you run the XP it will automaticaly want to partition and format your hard drive.
Two things. First if you do not know what your are doing with the partition manager , either stop what your are doing and ask questions till you understand, or leave the partition "as is". I will not hurt anything and you can always go back when you have aquired the knowledge to modify partition. Second. Use the NTSF file type instead of the FAT32 file type. It will use less space. If for some reason it asks you if you want to keep the current format answer no. This will force it to format the drive.
If you are in doubt STOP and ask questions. We are here for you.

Good luck.

#11 TxRunner2003

TxRunner2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:59 PM

thanks so much im looking for all i can so i do it right the first time & im happy that i have yalls help any other advice would be great but how about a step by step if thats not asking to much just to give me a better idea so i could print it out & go from there? again thanks so much

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

Here are Microsoft's instructions for doing a fresh installation of Windows XP:

New Installation with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...installnew.mspx

Make sure you have your Windows XP product key number.

You can print these instructions so you have a step by step tutorial.

Choose the NTFS filing system rather than FAT32. It will give you more efficiency and better security.

Edited by Enthusiast, 15 February 2006 - 11:06 PM.

#13 TxRunner2003

TxRunner2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

thanks so much for all the help i have to say the other forums i been to in the past they dont give you all this help every post i needed help with i got the help & been able to fix things so thanks this is the best site.

#14 TxRunner2003

TxRunner2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:11 AM

i just got done with wiping my computer clean & installing windows & thanks to your help i got it right the first time thanks again

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:46 AM

It feels go when it works out. Good job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users