Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does having many installed applications cause a computer to run more slowly?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

1) Why does having many installed applications cause a computer (PC) to run more slowly?

2) Does this also happen if the programs are installed as portable?

3) Do portable programs run equally as efficient as installed programs?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Here is a screenshot of Speccy.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TAvmqcUb0w0cw1TZaDPS6OJ

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

The reason your computer is running so slow is the fact that it is very close to the point where you can boil water on it. You need to clean it out via a can of air.

Also please remove Norton via the Norton Removal Tool and download and install something better like MSE, AVG, Avast, or other.

Remove Advanced System Care per the following:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Also remove Iolo as well.

Also download Temp File Cleaner and run it. Your drive space free is border line to the point where it is slowing your computer down.

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hi,

Occasionally I use Process Lasso to see how much CPU time each application is using and Norton uses relatively little. I understand your reasoning about not using a registry cleaner and will dispense from using it in the future.

I know I have a lot of applications on my system. I provide support for many other users and find it convenient to have all of their applications readily available. But why does this slow me down so much? If I had portable versions of them, I could keep them on one of the external disk drives.

If my performance problem is merely the lack of available disk space on my system disk, an easy solution would be to purchase a larger one. Removing Advanced System Care is no more than a simple uninstall.

I believe that the quantity of applications is the real source of my problem but I don't understand why this would make so much of a difference in performance since only a few of them are being used at at one time.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Its the applications that I selected that are causing the issue.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hi

In addition to Cryptodan's suggestions, his first statement about the temperature of your CPU in that Speccy report is a factor also. Here are the thermal specs for your CPU...

Thermal Specifications

The maximum temperature for safe operation is 100C.

The catastrophic thermal protection temperature is 125C.

Idle temperature is typically around 30-50C.

Temperature at full utilisation is around 60-70C.

These latter two values will of course depend largely on cooling systems and available airflow.

Yours is at 80 degrees celsius in that report. You should see if that was a fluke or if your CPU really is running that hot under normal conditions.

James

#8 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Hi James,

My laptop has been idle all night and there are no obstructions to air flow. Why then would my computer be operating at such a high temperature. Presently it is at 61 degrees C. You had mentioned that the optimum idle temperature should be 30-50 degrees.

Richard Rein

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

That's a tricky one :)

On the hardware side it might be the fan, might be a warped or damaged heat sink, might be the CPU.
On the software side it might be a process constantly doing intensive calculations (though it sounds like you've been watching for that).

I would check the fan first. Do you have a utility installed that does that? I use an open source one.
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

James

EDIT: Has it ever shutdown on you suddenly in the middle of doing something?

Edited by NeverSayDie, 11 February 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#10 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

It has never shut down other than an occasional crash. My computer runs around the clock, 24 hours a day.

Richard

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

You have a lap top not a desktop, and should not be using it as such. You should shut it down every time you are not using it. You need to clean it out with a can of compressed air. If you want to use a computer like a server, then I would recommend getting a desktop that can be left on 24x7x365.

#12 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

You're certainly dealing with processor throttling from temperature. I've seen Intel chips capable of throttling clear down to 100MHz to prevent damage.

The biggest problem with your temperatures is that they are killing the lifespan of your laptop. Those parts will break down and fail much more quickly than normal.

Core 0
Core Speed: 997.6 MHz
Multiplier: x 9.0
Bus Speed: 166.3 MHz
Rated Bus Speed: 665.1 MHz
Temperature: 173 °F
Thread 1

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 66 %
Total Physical: 3.75 GB
Available Physical: 1.24 GB
Total Virtual: 6.74 GB
Available Virtual: 2.34 GB

Throttling and large amounts of paging.

1) Why does having many installed applications cause a computer (PC) to run more slowly?

Because many of the programs you've installed have pieces of them that auto-start. Given how many programs you have running in the background, you may want to give Autoruns a whirl and see what you can do about it.

Edited by LucheLibre, 11 February 2012 - 06:18 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Remove Advanced System Care per the following:

Hi -
As Advanced System Care will always leave traces behind
Visit this uninstallers site, Navigate to http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

[17] IObit > Info > Tool (Note: Cleans left-overs after a normal uninstall) (non-vendor)

Use the tool listed above to remove the last traces after you use the normal uninstaller -

Thank You -

#14 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

To Everyone: Thank you for all your assistance.

To Noknojon: I followed your instructions, thanks.

To LucheLibre: I looked at Autoruns. There must be at least 500 items (or more) in the list (everything). I don't quite understand the details explained about this program. Presently I don't wish to delete any of these programs but what will happen if uncheck those I don't want to be running at startup. Can they still all be used on demand? If so, I can probably disable 95% or more of them. Another question. Why do program developers do whatever they do to get their programs started this way? Why not just leave it to be controlled by MSCONFIG?

Richard

Edited by richierein, 11 February 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Do you really need to be running all these processes at the same time? I think this is the root of your problem.

afcdpsrv.exe
applemobiledeviceservice.exe
ascservice.exe
batteryalarm.exe
CaptureLibService.exe
clipboard.exe
clipboardhistory.exe
core temp.exe
dropbox.exe
ekaiohostservice.exe
formatfactory.exe
freemakeutilsservice.exe
googledesktop.exe
googletoolbaruser_32.exe
ioloservicemanager.exe
ipodservice.exe
ituneshelper.exe
luna.exe
m4-capture.exe
m4-service.exe
memboost.exe
memeodashboardservice.exe
mutelock.exe
networx.exe
opalcalc.exe
processgovernor.exe
processlasso.exe
robotaskbaricon.exe
robotasklite.exe
schedul2.exe
screenshotcaptor.exe
seagatedashboardservice.exe
Process ID: 3584
searchindexer.exe
skype.exe
stickies.exe
syncagentsrv.exe
teamviewer.exe
teamviewer_service.exe
touchpadblocker.exe
tv_w32.exe
volumouse.exe
winhotkey.exe
wizmouse.exe
ytbb.exe
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users