Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Changing 'windows Classic Style' To 'windows Xp Style'

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 phased

phased

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:53 PM

Hey guys,

I had problems with spyware a month or so ago (it appears to be fixed now) and my display was automatically set from the windows XP type display (e.g. http://www.petri.co.il/images/tour.jpg ) to the 'Windows Classic Style' (e.g. http://www.tgtsoft.com/images/prod_stylexp_faqs_vs1.jpg )

Naturally I went to Display Settings to change it back to the XP style, but when I go to the appearance tab and click 'Windows and buttons:' drop-down, the only option now is 'Windows classic style' - no 'Windows XP Style' option!

Can anyone offer some help? I really want my display to look like I'm running on windows xp rather than 95 lol!

Thanks for any insight guys n girls.

Edited by phased, 14 February 2006 - 10:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:26 AM

Hi there,

In Display Properties, there is also a Windows XP setting under the Themes tab. Choose it from the drop down, and save it. then go back and check under Appearances to see if the Windows XP option is back. You may want to see if your Start Menu is also in Classic, right-Click the Start button, click properties, and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 phased

phased
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:32 AM

Hi there,

In Display Properties, there is also a Windows XP setting under the Themes tab. Choose it from the drop down, and save it. then go back and check under Appearances to see if the Windows XP option is back. You may want to see if your Start Menu is also in Classic, right-Click the Start button, click properties, and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help nos - but unfortunately it didn't work.

I set it at 'Windows XP' in the themes tab and clicked apply then looked under the Appearances tab but there was still no 'Windows XP Style' option.

Thanks for any more help guys...

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:43 AM

XP Theme fix

It appears that some programs are corrupting the luna.msstyles file, so that the XP Theme no longer functions. This widely used fix simply replaces the corrupt file with a new one to correct the problem. (Perchance Luna XP Theme file(s) are actually missing, add those from the download to the appropriate place.)
  • Go to Kelly's Korner:
  • Go to list item #187, and in the RHS column, click on "Restore Luna Theme" to download "Resources.zip".
  • Unzip that, (where ever you wish) and within those folders, navigate to the "luna.msstyles" (or "luna ..." whatever it may happen to be called on that machine) file only.
    Resources\Resources\Theme\Luna\luna.msstyles <<<this file
  • Right-click on the "luna ..."file (not the folder) and select "Copy" (to copy this file to the Clipboard).
  • Then, using Windows Explorer, (having first confirmed that all system and hidden files and folders are visible) navigate to
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna\luna ... <<<this file (if it exists)
    and drag it (the "luna ..." file, not the folder) out of the way (say, onto the desktop for temporary safe-keeping).
  • Paste in the new "luna ..." file to replace the one just removed (right-click on a blank area of the "Luna" folder, and select "Paste" in the menu that pops up).
  • Double-click on it (the "luna ..." file) and hey presto! XP Theme is back!
  • Then check the setting in Control Panel to confirm that XP Theme (as opposed to Classic Theme) is selected for the future.
  • Delete the old and unwanted files/folders that will no longer be required.
Let me know how it goes....
David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 15 February 2006 - 07:44 AM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:05 AM

It's also possible that your graphics display is not set to accomodate XP themes.

Go to start/settings/control panel,
click on Display
click the "Settings" tab
Make sure it is set for more than 16Bit

#6 littlesnuffyo

littlesnuffyo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:10 PM

I was having the same problem today with the XP not being there and I did what D-Trojanater suggested and it worked! My question is what do you mean when you say delete the old files/folders? Do I delete the luna file that I moved to my desktop before I pasted the new one in?

#7 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:58 AM

Hi littlesnuffyo

I agree that last line is a bit ambiguous - it won't hurt at all to leave the files where they are. If you want you can delete the old luna file on your desktop.

David

#8 phased

phased
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:28 AM

XP Theme fix

It appears that some programs are corrupting the luna.msstyles file, so that the XP Theme no longer functions. This widely used fix simply replaces the corrupt file with a new one to correct the problem. (Perchance Luna XP Theme file(s) are actually missing, add those from the download to the appropriate place.)

• Go to Kelly's Korner:
  • Go to list item #187, and in the RHS column, click on "Restore Luna Theme" to download "Resources.zip".
  • Unzip that, (where ever you wish) and within those folders, navigate to the "luna.msstyles" (or "luna ..." whatever it may happen to be called on that machine) file only.
    Resources\Resources\Theme\Luna\luna.msstyles <<<this file
  • Right-click on the "luna ..."file (not the folder) and select "Copy" (to copy this file to the Clipboard).
  • Then, using Windows Explorer, (having first confirmed that all system and hidden files and folders are visible) navigate to
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna\luna ... <<<this file (if it exists)
    and drag it (the "luna ..." file, not the folder) out of the way (say, onto the desktop for temporary safe-keeping).
  • Paste in the new "luna ..." file to replace the one just removed (right-click on a blank area of the "Luna" folder, and select "Paste" in the menu that pops up).
  • Double-click on it (the "luna ..." file) and hey presto! XP Theme is back!
  • Then check the setting in Control Panel to confirm that XP Theme (as opposed to Classic Theme) is selected for the future.
  • Delete the old and unwanted files/folders that will no longer be required.
Let me know how it goes....
David

Perfect - Worked a charm!

Thanks so much, David.

#9 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:34 AM

Ok, glad i could help :thumbsup:
David

#10 sKunKbad

sKunKbad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

Something probably tryed to change the luna.msstyles file. It would have been successful if it would have patched the uxtheme.dll. If your windows xp has SP2 and you try to modify the luna.msstyles file, your display properties will behave exactly as you have described. If you patch the uxtheme.dll file, then your modified theme will work. There are automatic uxtheme.dll patching programs out there, and you can also get ahold of modified uxtheme.dll files out there if you want to make the patch manually.

I learned all this when I wanted to change the color of my start button. Changing the color is actually pretty easy with Resource Hacker and photoshop, but you have to use the windows installation disc and change your files through the system recovery because windows file protection will not allow the luna.msstyles file to be changed otherwise. Honestly I could not find a way to turn off the windows file protection. Of all the sfc_os.dll hacks I found out there, there wasn't any information online that applied to my computer's windows file protection. It would just not turn off!

In conclusion, you do have to patch that uxtheme.dll before your theme modifications will work with windows xp SP2.

Hope this helps somebody someday, it took me a while to figure that out.

GBU,
sKunKbad

Edited by sKunKbad, 24 June 2006 - 01:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users