Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Game Name?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zinkter

zinkter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

Trying to remember an old game's name.

Description: Late Win3.1/Early W95; possibly freeware/shareware; 2D space shooter, your ship against a computer opponent. (I think it could have been networked to a two player game) On the action screen, the ship stayed centered while the planets moved around it. Your planets were green, empty planets were grey/white, neutral planets were yellow and enemy planets were red. Planets could have shields that showed up as thing blue lines. You could colonize the empty planets by moving colonists from a green planet to there. You also could "ally" with the nuetral planets by investing your cash with them, but they eventually would go back to being nuetral. If I remember correctly, right click fired (thin, red) laser that actually sounded like the Star Trek Phaser, Left fired a small nuclear bomb that could wipe out a population of a planet or seriously damage your opponent. Direction control was the arrow keys. The game was crude, most of the information was in the small windows via text except the game area which was just 2D action. There was a message area where your opponent could/would comment to you. The computer opponent of the game would say really weird comments (maybe just to taunt you) like "Building up our forces to destroy the vermin" and other strange stuff. Basically, you had like 5-7 lives to defeat your opponent by either eliminating all his planets or himself.

If you can remember the name of this game please let me know, I really loved it as a kid and am looking for it now.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 95/98/ME to the more appropriate forum. Dleted duplicate topic in DOS/PDA/Other forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Sounded sort of like Asteroids @ first :)

I do wish ya luck finding it,OLDER GAMES WERE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Did it look like this?
Posted Image

If so then it's name is "Galactic Conquest" and was written by Rick Raddatz. There is a modern re-imagining called Galcon Fusion. See their history page for more info.

If not, well, Galcon Fusion is still a fun, modern game which matches your description fairly well.

#4 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hey i remember that game>>>> thanks for the memories>> i still play duke nukem 3d

#5 zinkter

zinkter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Andrew,

Sorry, not the game I am thinking of. The Interface was more windows95 styled, with the playing area centered on the little white spaceship. Your suggestion is a good attempt/option though, I will check it out too. Still hoping to find the one I am looking for though, it was awesome if it was simple.

Zinkter

#6 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

Was it a star trek game ? Birth of the federation comes to mind when reading the description.

#7 zinkter

zinkter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Nope, not Star Trek affiliated. I think I was incorrect on the right/left click stated earlier. Left was the fire lazer; right click was the "bombs"; the interface was pretty basic; like a win 3.1 (more 3.1 than W95 honestly)style setup with multiple windows; the graphics were most likely rendered with paint honestly. It most likely wasn't a mainline game; probably one produced a bit more cheaply.

Edited by zinkter, 10 February 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#8 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

You might go to http://www.abandonia.com/ and search by catagory. They have screen shots, so that might help, and you can probably download it from there, too.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#9 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Wow...back them we thought things couldn't get any better...now look at what we got. Makes you wonder what it will be like in the next 10 years.

#10 zinkter

zinkter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Makes me feel old, and I am only in my 30's...lol. I have been surfing the Abandonware sites for a while (couple weeks) now looking for the game, figured I would try seeing if anyone elses memories could be jogged.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hell Fighter

http://www.squakenet.com/download/hell-fighter/12949/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 zinkter

zinkter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Sorry, it wasn't Hell Fighter, although that looks like fun as well. I actually got a tip on a different board and it led me to the correct game. It was called "Warpath" and I was able to find it for download here:

www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath.htm

Thanks again for all the suggestions! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users