Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files in my drive are gone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Javaman21

Javaman21

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hi!

My hard drive has two partitions: C: and P:. C: looks normal, but P:, which has all of my files, is empty. Properties show that Capacity and Free Space are the same.

I tried to search a specific file that I know is saved in drive P: and it shows up under Recent Documents, together with the rest of my lost files. Only they are shortcuts. When I try to open one, an error message says, "The drive or network connection that the shortcut "filename" refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available. And then try again.

I did a System Restore but nothing happened. I ran Malwarebytes, Spybot, SAS, RKill, TDSKiller, SystemLook, Unhide.exe by following what I found in your forums. They found several Trojans, Adware Tracking Cookie, Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallOverride and Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride. So I followed the cleaning instructions, but it still did not bring back my files.

One thing I noticed in Malwarebytes. When I do a scan of drive P:/ it scans the C: drive instead.

Please help! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Javaman21

Javaman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

And I'm running on Windows XP Professional. Tnx!

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hello,
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL start the Task Manager then File/New Task(RUN) in the run box type chkdsk C: /R and press enter Now type a Y and reboot the computer. Check Disk will run at next boot up.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Javaman21

Javaman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Ok ill do it, hold on pls. Tnx

#5 Javaman21

Javaman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Done. It said the volume is clean. What do I do next?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Next we run SFC

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Javaman21

Javaman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Ok ill try to get hold of the OS cd and post again soonest. Or is there another way to do it without the cd? Coz its not with me at the moment. Thanks!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

If it is possible to post a DDS log in a new topic.

Do NOT run a Temp file or Registry cleaner or they will be gone.

Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.

#9 Javaman21

Javaman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hi boopme, sorry for the late reply. I will be able to get hold of the OS cd this morning. May I just ask whether I need to run SFC first then create a DDS log? Or I can skip SFC and just to your last instruction? Thanks again!

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

Well the SFC may find and replace the files. If not,then you definately need to post the DDS log,

#11 Javaman21

Javaman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Ok will do and post again. Thanks!

#12 Javaman21

Javaman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

Hi again. I ran SFC last night, but nothing has changed. I'm preparing to run DDS now. Thanks!

#13 Javaman21

Javaman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

While I'm trying to enable the firewall, I got this error message:

Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?

When I click on Yes, it will say that it cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service.

What should I do? Do I continue with DeFogger?

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Continue on ,, They will see the service that is Off also and repair that. If you are having too much trouble just see if you can run and post the DDS. State in the new topic you had trouble running the tools.. We need that log so we can move on.

#15 Javaman21

Javaman21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

I'm done running Defogger so CD Emulation softwares are disabled already. But nothing happens when I run dds.scr. The icone is correct though. I tried rebooting but same thing. When I double click, the hourglass just blinks for a second and that's it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users