Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My external hard drive is infected, I'm about to run GMER, should I leave that partition checked?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 notinfallible

notinfallible

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

I am in the process of posting in the forum called, "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs". I am about to run GMER and in the instructions it states the following..........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will now see the main GMER window. If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run a full scan, please click on the NO button. We now need to configure GMER to not use some settings. Please uncheck the following settings that we do not want in our scan.

IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive, which is typically C:\
Show All (This is important, so do not miss it.)

When done, the screen should look similar to Figure 13 below.

Posted Image
Figure 13: Options we want unchecked in GMER

Once your screen look similar to the above, click on the Scan button to scan your computer for rootkits. This may take a while, so please be patient. When it has finished you will be back at the main screen as shown in the figure below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main reason I'm posting there is because I have infections on my main partition "C:\" and I also have an infection on my recovery partition "D:\".

Do I leave the D:\ box checked in this circumstance? I would hate to have to run GMER twice, it takes about 6 hours for it finish.

Thank you.

Edited by notinfallible, 10 February 2012 - 07:23 AM.

The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users