Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to restore default hidden files after using unhide.exe?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thinredline

thinredline

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

Hello.
i have a problem and i found this forum which seems good in providing solutions.
I was attacked today by a malware and I did some actions to get rid of it and now all seems good.
Among my actions I used unhide.exe.

the problem now is that ALL my files and folders are visible, even those which were supposed to be hidden.
Well, maybe there is no harm in that but maybe they were hidden for a reason, that's why i would like to restore them to their default state.
I see in many places that they say to do this:

Start Menu - type in Search box -> CMD find at top - Right Click on - RUN AS ADMIN
Type or Copy and Paste this at the prompt :
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
Hit Enter

but i'm afraid to do it because elsewhere it says that it may make my system unstable and not restore all the default security settings.
Does anyone have another solution?

there is also system restore but it doesn't work in my pc whenever i've tried to do it..
my system is windows 7 64bit.
maybe there is a software that tells Windows which files are system files and turns them to hidden as they were originally?

Edited by thinredline, 10 February 2012 - 05:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-7/
Please follow the directions in the tutorial from BleepingComputer -
Just reverse the process - Simple

Thank You -

EDIT - No command lines are required for this process, just a tick -

Edited by noknojon, 10 February 2012 - 04:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users