Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD prices?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

I usually don't pay attention to this stuff until I need it, so here I am.

Last year I bought a Western Digital 1TB HD from Amazon for $55. I want to buy another one now, and the same HD is $109. Is this type of price increase common for hard drives in the last year?

Just curious. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltoos

Baltoos

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

Western Digital & Seagate account for approximately 90 percent of the total hard-drive market. Both have factories in Thailand that were shut down due to severe flooding there last year. Western Digital expects to be back at full production in September 2012. Seagate expects their hard drive shortages to last until 2013. The shortage of hard drives due to the flooding has driven prices up. The prices should slowly drop as both companies resume full production.

Western Digital Update from 1.23.2012

Seagate Update from 2.1.2012

-Dave

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

FWIW it may pay to not rush out and buy if not needed.

Western Digital on Thursday Feb. 9th reported that they have restarted production in Thailand. so hopefully prices will start easing a bit now.

I did notice that they say they have restarted production not that they restarted Full production.
Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 10 February 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users