Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Transfer Computer Cutout Problem...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SoulAndroid13

SoulAndroid13

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

Not sure if this goes in this or the hardware forum cause I'm not sure what's up...

I've been recording TV shows via ATI Video Wonder USB 2.0 onto my Gateway laptop running Windows XP Home Edition. The ATI VW came with a program that translates the video files for the ATI into other formats. I've been using Mpeg1 for various reasons.

I've then been using Windows Movie Maker to cut out pieces I don't want and translating the Mpeg1 into .wma files.

Recently my laptop has begun cutting out any time I attempt to use ATI to translate .vcr (the raw TV recording) into .mpg (the Mpeg1), or when I try to save a video I've made in WMM into .wma. It doesn't shut down or give me an error, it simply cuts as if the battery had been ripped out mid-operation.

I've tried using safe mode, with the result that it seems to cut out sooner than usual. I've still got 30% of the hard drive free and I've defragmented it to see if it would have an effect.

The .vcr files are usually 1-2 gigabytes, the .mpg files usually about 70% of that size-wise, and the individual segments I try to save in .wma are usually 100-300 megabytes.

I'm not sure what other information might be needed. I've run out of resources from my friends and family as to what might be wrong...

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:12 AM

While I'm not real well versed in video - I'd suspect corruption in one of the video programs that you're using. I'd suggest updating/reinstalling these programs.

Another possibility is that the programs ran out of resources to complete the tasks and then terminated themselves. Check your Event Viewer ( Instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ ) for any Application errors at the time that this happens.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SoulAndroid13

SoulAndroid13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:26 AM

I've checked the event viewer now that it's happened again, and no errors on any of the three topics, Applications, Security, or System, have been detected when the computer cuts.

It has also begun happening with slightly lesser events, such as running computer games (WarCraftIII) and copying a CD(Windows Media Player 10) most recently.

It seems to happen whenever my laptop goes into 'high-gear'. I'm adding this info to see if anyone else has an idea, but I'm fairly convinced it's hardware at this point and will be moving over to another board for assistance.

Thanks.

Edited by SoulAndroid13, 21 February 2006 - 04:30 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

Generally, if Windows doesn't recognize an error - then the error is occurring below Windows' level of recognition. And this, most often, is hardware.

But, that doesn't mean that it is hardware. Can you edit the video files without having the TV Card plugged in? If so, it could be another hardware component that's causing the problem. It could also be overheating, or even a program crash that isn't recognized by Windows.

You might try reinstalling the ATI software (it's the reason that I stopped using my ATI TVWonderVE card).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users