Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't seem to unlock cores...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hi, I have a PC with a Biostar MB with an AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU

Biostar TA785GE 128M
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=455

When the computer boots up, at the point where the motherboard's boot screen appears and you can hit DEL to go into the BIOS....
It says "Press F3 to unlock core 3"
When I do that, the next time I boot up it says "Press F4 to unlock core 4"
When I do that... the next time I boot up it says "Press F3 to unlock core 3" again.

I don't understand why this happens, (it happened with my previous CPU also but I didn't care at the time).

I've looked in the MB manual and I don't see any mention of a core unlocking switch or anything, and I have looked through the BIOS setup and see nothing about it either.

One thing I did notice though is that in the CPU configuration area of the setup...it says:
Physical count:1
Logical count:3

and when I have hit the F4 button on start up (to unlock core 4), the logical count shanges to 4.

I don't know what that means (cuz I'm borderline idiot). If it means all 4 cores are unlocked, then why does it mention unlocking core #3 on next bootup?

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

None of the cores should be locked at all-the phenom 965 is natively a quad core, there are no locked cores. the fact it is indicates there may be a problem-does windows show all four cores?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

Ok, thank you. I'm probably using the wrong terminology.

When the motherboard software (firmware?) was starting up it was telling me how to "unlock" those cores.
I'm a newb at a lot of this CPU/MB stuff...so I just went with it.

As far as the 4 cores being "unlocked" on the 965 (black edition) I just assumed that was a different sort of "unlock"... again, only because on boot-up I was being told how to unlock them.

As far as Windows showing 4 cores... to be honest I am not sure where to check that.?!

I will look around...

Thank you for the help.

EDIT: I just Googled and found this CPU-Z utility and installed it. It shows 3 cores. When I get home from work I will run thru the boot-up again and make sure I have selected all 4 and see what it says.
Is there a way IN Windows to tell how many cores ?
Thanks again.

Edited by TNF, 10 February 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

right click my computer in the windows start up menu, click properties, on the left hand side of the window that pops up there should be an option called "device manager" click that, it will bring up a list of all the hardware on your computer. Click on processors, it should show (4) four seperate processors (should say AMD phenon II 965) if there is only 3, then windows is not recognizing all four. Though, chances are if CPU-Z is only showing three, then there is a problem. There are no cores to unlock on that motherboard. Question, did you update your BIOS before updating your CPU? What BIOS version are you running (should tell you on post, right after the computer turns on, should say BIOS version x.xx if not it normally says somewhere on the BIOS screen if you enter it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Ok, on boot-up it mentioned hitting F4 to unlock the 4th core, so I did that.
Now CPU-Z and Windows device manager both show 4 cores.

I appreciate the help, and finding out that all cores are working. And yes BIOS is updated.

It was just puzzling to have that option to open the 3rd core every time I boot up, even though all 4 cores are working... and now, thanks to you, found in Windows.

Again, thank you, as always this place is a ton of help.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

it was probably a glitch in the BIOS, if choosing unlocking the core worked, then I would leave it alone. Glad you got it figured out..

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users