Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

converting external drive to internal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ryan97145

ryan97145

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Is it possible to remove the case on an external drive and use it as an internal drive on my new build?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Its possible given the available factors from the connectors matching the system board but not advisable to be used primarily to function to be an internal drive. They are by design and by simply looking at their form and title as internal and external.

Tekken

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

actually, not true in most cases-the hard drives inside your computer are often times the exact same hard drives that are used in the external enclosures. All the enclosures do is in essence, create a portable sata controller inside a box so you can move it around. Whats going to make the difference is the size and the connector-there are two form factors for hard drives, 2.5 inch (laptop) and 3.5 inch (desktops) and external enclosures come in both sizes. If you have a laptop with a 2.5 inch hard drive, getting it to mount inside your desktop without a bracket would be difficult, at best. If it is a 3.5 inch, then it should just slide right in. The other thing to keep in mind is the connector-older style external hard drives use IDE while newer ones use SATA, and Im guessing your new computer uses SATA. If the enclosure is sata, and the hard drive is 3.5 inch, then it should be as easy as removing the drive from the external enclosure, and installing it in your desktop, and it should work without any problems whatsoever.

A hard drive is a hard drive-regardless of whether its in an external enclosure, or inside a computer. In fact, its often cheaper to purchase an enclosure off ebay, and then find a hard drive off a newegg shell shocker or other sale, then to buy one already pre made.

Edited by the_patriot11, 09 February 2012 - 11:29 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Last year people were buying the Hitachi 3Tb externals and pulling the drives to use internally. The reason? The EHD was cheaper the a internal 3Tb for the same brand.

However doing that was gambling the drive would not go bad as that killed the warranty.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Functionally...the only differences between external drives and internal drives...externals involve a different connection point, introduce another factor in the faiilure equation (the enclosure and connections for enclosure).

The drive will operate more efficiently if directly connected, rather than using USB connections/enclosure.

Probably has less likelihood of having heat problems sans enclosure also.

Louis

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Last year people were buying the Hitachi 3Tb externals and pulling the drives to use internally. The reason? The EHD was cheaper the a internal 3Tb for the same brand.

However doing that was gambling the drive would not go bad as that killed the warranty.

Also, some of the large external drives like the GoFlex 3TB have a special boards built into the enclosure...

Internally the 3TB drive uses 512-byte sectors, however the GoFlex dock emulates a 4K drive to allow for a single 3TB partition to be created in Windows.

So if you want it internal with a 3TB partition, you may have a little modding to do :)

James

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

Given all the suggestions, we may need to know from the OP as to why he wants to use the external drive as internal.

Tekken

#8 ryan97145

ryan97145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I ended up taking out of the enclosure and installing. jhayz, i'm using it as a storage drive on my new build since my boot drive (ssd) is only 64gb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users