Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario CQ61-420US Overheating Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 alex93

alex93

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

My Compaq Presario CQ61-420us is oveheating. I have taken the computer apart and used can air to clean all the dust out of the fan and vents. I have checked BIOS and I saw that there was no fan options. Is there a way to see if it is hardware problems or if my os is configured wrong. I have seen that many people have been having problems with this laptop overheating. Is there a place online that I could go to see if there is something that I could do to see if it is a product defect from HP and get them to fix it for free. This laptop is going to be two years old in the end of march.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Can you tell if the fan is running? Here is a free open source hardware monitor that might be able to detect your fan speed...

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

I fixed one of those a while back and the problem was a bad fan. Might just be a coincidence :)

Let us know if that program doesn't see the fan, there might be something else to try.

James

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

. I have checked BIOS and I saw that there was no fan options.

If the CPU fan is working and still encounters high temps. compared to prior usage or when bought new, a replacement or a cooling pad is applicable in some cases. Since you mentioned its already 2 years in his condition so other factors could also come from the heat issue.

Tekken

#4 alex93

alex93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

It looks like it. Air is coming out of the vents. When I ran the OpenHardwareMonitor program, it says the temperatures at their max and the speeds are at a quarter of their max levels. This overheating problem has been happening for almost 6 months. Do you think I should just replace the fan or would I have to replace the motherboard to. Is this type of computer even worth replacing parts for should I just get a new one?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

The fan I replaced was dead (actually locked and would not hardly move) and while it was not a difficult job for me, I would not recommend it to someone who isn't comfortable pulling apart their laptop and putting it back together properly. It isn't just the fan I replaced but the heatsink and pipe as a single unit so there's a lot more that can go wrong with the repair than one where you just clip on a fan and plug it a power plug. There is cleaning and prep and applying thermal paste. You can just get the fan for cheaper but it is a lot more work and the problem might be the heatsink anyway.

Now that you know it is overheating and the fan isn't running as fast as it should, see what the manufacturer says about it. The part costs $50 to $75 so you can factor that into your decision. If they can do it for $125 it's a good deal.

James

#6 alex93

alex93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

The fan I replaced was dead (actually locked and would not hardly move) and while it was not a difficult job for me, I would not recommend it to someone who isn't comfortable pulling apart their laptop and putting it back together properly. It isn't just the fan I replaced but the heatsink and pipe as a single unit so there's a lot more that can go wrong with the repair than one where you just clip on a fan and plug it a power plug. There is cleaning and prep and applying thermal paste. You can just get the fan for cheaper but it is a lot more work and the problem might be the heatsink anyway.

Now that you know it is overheating and the fan isn't running as fast as it should, see what the manufacturer says about it. The part costs $50 to $75 so you can factor that into your decision. If they can do it for $125 it's a good deal.

James

Can you send me where a good place to by the heat sync fan online? Should I replace the motherboard to or just the fan.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Okay, I'll check if there are anymore in stock where I got mine. It is a bit of an oddball item. I paid $50 including shipping.

First I need to know your exact model number. Is it Compaq Presario CQ61-420us ? Double check it.

James

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

I will send a copy of this to you as a private message with the links.

I'm off to bed so here is the info if it is indeed a Compaq Presario CQ61-420US...

I did the repair for a client but since you are doing it for yourself, you can try the cheap options first :)

$12 This reputable seller has just the fan for $12 and even has a positive review from someone who put it in a HP Compaq CQ61-420US. It also comes with a free syringe of thermal paste. You will need to open the assembly on the heatsink that contains the fan and the screws on this can be a bear.

Vendor link sent in PM as they are not appropriate in forum post. Sent link is not an affiliate link. I receive no money for this.
Mod Edit: Please...vendor links appear in posts every day...do not conduct forum business by email...it defeats the purpose of the forum and limits the alternatives of the OP ~ Hamluis.

$65 Here is the heatsink and fan assembly (this is not where I got mine, they were out of stock there). If you get this one open yours up and make sure it is the same as the one pictured. There is a subtle difference in the pipe between close model numbers.

Vendor link sent in PM as they are not appropriate in forum post. Sent link is not an affiliate link. I receive no money for this.

Bare motherboards are kind of rare and run about $275.

Hope this helps, let me know it you have questions.
James

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#9 alex93

alex93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

I didn't receive the links

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

I didn't receive the links

Odd, they are in my sent items copy. Well, nevertheless, the fan by itself can be found at Amazon and the fan/heatsink assembly can be found at Dectrader. I've never had problems with either place but I have heard others complain about the second company.

James

#11 alex93

alex93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

It popped up saying they were there and when I clicked on the message, it said that it couldn't get it. Thanks for that.

#12 Googled

Googled

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Can you tell if the fan is running? Here is a free open source hardware monitor that might be able to detect your fan speed...

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

I fixed one of those a while back and the problem was a bad fan. Might just be a coincidence :)

Let us know if that program doesn't see the fan, there might be something else to try.

James

Hello I have a similar problem: my Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop shut down suddenly yesterday and on the back it was VERY HOT. Recently the fan was doing a lot of noise so I guess that now it has stopped working because there is no more noise and I cannot longer feel air coming out.

Screenshot of the temperature:

Posted Image

So I was trying to open the laptop and clean the fan (if I find it, because I am a total noob at this stuff) but could anyone please tell me if I need to be grounded or have a static wrist like this guy writes in this video description?

"Note: make sure you are grounded and or wearing a static wrist strap before dealing with any components in a computer."

I though I only had to disconnect the main power cable but now since my screwdriver is all made of steel, I am concerned about doing it...do I need to wear anything or use anything in particular?

Cheers

Edited by Googled, 08 November 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#13 Googled

Googled

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Alternatively, can I cool the laptop with an external fan for a few weeks? ( in a month I may be able to buy a new one)

Thanks

#14 Googled

Googled

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

please help, I removed 9 screws but it doesn't open yet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users