Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy transfer cable versus ethernet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

I was just wondering what people's experience was in using the Easy Transfer cable versus ethernet in terms of the speed of transferring stuff from the old computer to new.
From my research, USB2 can manage a possible 480Mbps (60MB/s) compared to Ethernet 10/100 at 100Mbps (12.5MB/s) although PCs which both have Gigabit capability could theoretically manage 1000Mbps (125MB/s)
Does anyone have any thoughts or practical experience of which is the faster?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

depends on your network, if you have the hardware for gigabyte lan-its much faster. If not, the easy transfer cable would be a lot faster. I personally, do not have an easy transfer cable, I have a gigabyte LAN if I use the cables, which I use sometimes, however lately just for ease of use I just use my wireless network (300 mbs) it takes a bit longer for me, but Im rarely in a hurry-I just choose the files to transfer, and leave the computer and go do something else or play games, even for several gigabytes worth of files.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. For me, speed is important as I am a PC repair guy and do the occasional setup of a new PC.
People ask how much it's going to be, and it really depends how much they've got, so I am now tempted to get an easy transfer cable, as 4.8x speed is great, although I guess it depends on how quickly the software can send it too. Windows 7 and Vista can be very slow if you try to transfer using an explorer window. Things to consider, these days many people don't use offline email software, and aren't too bothered about settings, so easy transfer might be overkill. They usually just want their files, but one person may have 500GB of videos, and the next 10MB of photos. :o

Edited by Adam Pollard, 13 February 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

For that matter, often times if all the customer wants is their photos and music, its often times faster (if both hard drives are sata) to simply remove the old hard drive and throw it into the new system and transfer files that way, I mean were talking 3 gigs transfer vs 480 mb/s, and if we have 20 gigs of files, that may save you a lot of time with a little extra effort.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users